Office of International Programs
- Read all of the information in the J-1 Scholar Pre- arrival Guide. All of the items
listed below are discussed in further detail in the guide.
- Verify that all the information on your DS- 2019 is correct. Note the program beginning
date and notify your inviting department and ISSFS immediately if your travel plans
- Pay the SEVIS FEE online.
- Apply for a J-1 Visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy to your home residence.
- Purchase or make plans to purchase medical insurance coverage. The U.S. Department
of State requires all individuals who enter the United States in J-1 status to have
medical insurance for themselves and any accompanying J-2 dependents.
- Arrange for your housing needs. Although ISSFS is unable to assist you in arranging
housing, this guide provides an overview of the many housing choices in the area near
the campus and in Tyler.
- Schedule your mandatory J-1 Student & Scholar Orientation with ISSFS for a date shortly
after your arrival in Tyler.
- Arrange for transportation from the Tyler airport to your hotel or apartment.