Office of International Programs
Research travel/study programs offered by UT Tyler.
- Safety first: Check the U.S. State Department's website for travel warnings and the International SOS 2015 Health and Safety Maps.
- Be prepared to agree to and sign a statement of understanding concerning the risk(s) associated with travel to a country and/or region identified on the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Alerts and Warnings list.
Attend a study abroad informational meeting and meet one-on-one with the Study Abroad Advisor in the Office of International Programs (OIP) to determine your specific plan of action, especially regarding which program you will apply for, what classes you will take, how you will pay for the program, and obtain a budget sheet. Contact email@example.com.
Meet with your departmental advisor to make sure that the study abroad course/program fulfills your degree requirements.
Complete the proper forms from the options below:
- Students that are not participating in travel study through the GATE Program must complete the UT Tyler Travel/Study student application form and return the completed application form and processing fee to the Office of International Programs.
- All international students must also complete the International Student Request to Participate in Faculty-led Travel/Study Abroad form and turn it in to their international advisor in the OIP International Student, Scholar and Faculty Services Center.
- If you are planning to enroll in semester or year-long programs (non-UT Tyler courses abroad) and wish to transfer credits back to UT Tyler, you must complete the Pre-Approval Form for Courses Abroad and obtain the required signatures from the appropriate academic department. Please use one form per department and seek assistance from the OIP Study Abroad Advisor as needed. Remember that upon your return, you will need to provide a sealed transcript or letter on university letterhead to the registrar's office stating the name of the course, dates attended, professor, and any other details about the course. The most important points - the documentation must be sealed, official, and in English.
Step 6: Make an appointment with the UT Tyler Health Clinic for a pre-trip health screening. This service is free for UT Tyler students at the university health clinic. Prior to your appointment, complete a Pre-Travel Health Screening Form to provide to the physician and obtain a Pre-Travel Health Assessment Form (specific to your trip) from your study abroad advisor at the OIP. Take both forms to your appointment.
- Students must complete the Pre-Travel Health Screening Form prior to scheduling an appointment for a physical at the UT Tyler Health Clinic.
- The Pre-Travel Health Assessment Form will be completed by a doctor at the UT Tyler Health Clinic (or at the clinic of your choice).
- Bring the completed Pre-Travel Health Assessment Form to the Study Abroad Advisor no later than one (1) month prior to your planned trip.
- Should you need immunizations, or other travel related health requirements prior to departure, you will need to make an appointment, at your own cost, at the UT Health Northeast Travel Clinic (or at another travel clinic of your choice).
Be aware of fees/deposit deadlines for chosen program. Please be sure to calculate these into your budget sheet.
Provide a copy of your passport to your OIP Study Abroad Advisor. You may attend a UT Tyler Passport Day event or apply for a passport if you don't already have one and need one sooner. Be aware of the fact that your passport should be valid for more than six (6) months before you would be allowed to enter a foreign destination. It is recommended that you renew your passport nine (9) months before your passport expires.
- Be aware of financial aid deadlines for the term in which you are studying abroad.
- Fill out the Application for UT Tyler Study Abroad Scholarships form. Return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact the UT Tyler Financial Aid office to apply for additional financial aid as needed.
- Print your temporary AHP ID Card.
Attend mandatory “Study Abroad for Students” workshop (this workshop is offered by the OIP once each semester). During the workshop, students will:
- Complete UT Tyler Release Form, Participant Responsibility Form and Emergency Contact Form.
- Register with International SOS. Contact email@example.com to obtain instructions.
- Register with Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Receive emergency contact card to be kept in possession at all times during trip.
- Complete mandatory post-trip evaluation form.
- Complete mandatory post-trip scholarship acknowledgement letters.