International Student, Scholar & Faculty Services
Tuberculosis (TB) Screen Hold Clearance Process
To protect the health of each student/scholar as well as the overall university community, TB screening documents from a recent blood test* conforming to UT Tyler's TB screen hold clearance documentation requirements will be required of any international student if BOTH statements below are true of that student:
- An F or J visa-holding UT Tyler student or scholar OR an H visa-holder enrolled in a face-to-face - i.e. in-person - course offered at UT Tyler or a UT Tyler campus (HEC, Longview, Palestine)
- Originates from a country that is defined as High Burden for TB by the United States CDC OR has traveled to a country that is defined as High Burden for TB
*At this time, only the QuantiFERON -- TB Gold In-Tube (QFT-G) and Interferon Gamma Assay (IGRA) blood test are accepted by UT Tyler for TB screen hold clearance purporses.
To restore full course registration eligibility, you must follow the TB screen hold clearance procedure outlined:
- Prior to day of your TB screen test, print and fill out the UT Tyler TB Screening Form to bring to your TB screen test site.
- On day of TB screen test, present your completed TB Screening Form to an attending
licensed medical provider; instruct the provider to fill out separately from your
screen test lab report, and to have ready for you to pick up when you return for your
TB screening lab report.
- If your blood test results are negative, proceed to next step.
- If your blood test results are positive, your provider will order an additional chest
X-ray to rule out actual TB infection (per TB Screening Form instructions, p. 2)
- If your chest X-ray is abnormal, you are required to complete a University-prescribed treatment course prior to being cleared to register for classes.
- If your chest X-ray is normal, proceed to next step.
- Send all lab reports (blood test and/or chest X-ray if applicable) AND your student- and provider-completed UT Tyler TB Screening Form to email@example.com. (For the quickest response, send your documents through your Patriots email account, and note your semester of admission and UT Tyler student ID.)
- Your documents will be reviewed by UT Health's medical team, upon which they will communicate to our office their TB hold clearance recommendation. This process typically takes 3-5 business days.
Upon receiving UT Health's recommendation, we will let you know by email whether your TB screen hold has been removed.