Records Storage & Disposal Policy
Administrative PolicyRecords Storage and Disposal Policy
(Note: Follow the university’s records retention schedule for destruction dates.) Pick-Up, Storage and Disposal
No. 01-01-02 / Approved 02-03-03
STORAGE: The following process is required to have records picked up and stored in the Physical Plant Records Room 132:
- Label all boxes with department name, date to be destroyed (month and year) and number accordingly – 1 of (total number), 2 of (total number), etc.
- After boxes have been correctly labeled, create a work request for pick up through the Lotus Notes database. For assistance in creating the work order, contact the Physical Plant at 566-7291. Specify the total number of boxes to be picked up and the delivery location (Physical Plant Room 132) on the work order.
- After submission of the work request, the Physical Plant director or the work control coordinator must approve it. After approval is received, the Physical Plant will dispatch a crew to pick up the boxes. A full-time UT Tyler employee from the Physical Plant will accompany the crew in transferring the records to storage. Student records and sensitive data will require that a representative from the appropriate area accompany the moving crew and verify the proper placement of records in the storage warehouse.
DISPOSAL: When records stored in Physical Plant Room 132 have reached or exceeded the proper destruction date, the following process is required to have them destroyed in the annual records destruction process:
- In February of each year, originating departments will be notified by the Office of Human Resources to review documents due for destruction. Each department will be required to complete a work request identifying appropriate records for destruction. Physical Plant will pull the boxes and the department chair or his/her designee will physically check the boxes and sign the work request, indicating they have reviewed the content of the boxes and content is ready to be destroyed. This work request will represent authorization for final destruction of documents. Once all of the boxes have been verified and signed off, a vendor will be chosen to come to campus and shred the documents. Financial Services and the Office of Human Resources will handle contracting the shredding company.
- The originating department chair shall maintain a records log of dates boxes are sent to storage and subsequent dates of destruction.