Office of the Registrar
Applying for Graduation
In order to graduate, a student must fulfill graduation requirements as established
in the catalog in effect at the time of their matriculation or, if the student has
formally elected to adopt requirements from a subsequent catalog, the requirements
from that catalog. Requirements from a catalog over six years old may be used to determine
requirements for a degree only if the student has been enrolled continuously in all
fall and spring terms each year.
All students should meet with their academic advisor(s) regularly. A pre-graduation
review prior to the semester in which they plan to file for graduation is especially
important to verify students are on track to graduate and have no outstanding items
beyond their final semester or course work still pending.
First Date to File
Students may begin to apply for graduation for any given semester as early as nine
months prior to the Final Filing Deadline for their semester of graduation, as outlined
in the chart below.
Priority Filing Dates
In order to facilitate a timely pre-graduation review of their graduation eligibility,
all students are highly encouraged to apply prior to the priority filing date for
their term of graduation, as listed below.
Final Filing Deadlines
All students must file for graduation no later than the final filing deadline, as listed below, for the term in which they wish to graduate. All Final Filing Deadlines will be extended to the next available business day in the event they fall on a weekend or holiday. The Final Filing Deadlines for fall and spring terms are also the deadline for inclusion in the commencement program. Once the Final Filing Deadline has passed for any given term that term will no longer be available for selection from the Apply for Graduation menu in Student Center, and students must apply for the next available term.
First Date to File
Priority Filing Date
Final Filing Deadline
|February 1||Fall Census Date||
Spring Census Date
Long Summer Census Date
*Summer graduates must participate in the following fall commencement ceremony, and are automatically included in the program. Early participation in the preceding spring ceremony is not permitted.'
Applying for Graduation - Effective Spring 2015
Click here to access the detailed How To Apply For Graduation document, or follow the directions listed below.
- Sign in to the Student Center page in myUTTyler.
- Under the Finances section, select purchase items from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a value of "1" for the Graduation App Access Fee item and complete/confirm the purchase transaction.
- Dual degree students must complete this step for each degree.
- Students in the RN-MSN program who will apply for their baccalaureate and master's degrees at the same time must check with their advisors to confirm the baccalaureate program is available for graduation application; it will have been set as inactive when the master's program was started.
- Return to the main Student Center page.
- Click the My Academics link.
- On this tab under the Graduation section, click the link titled Apply for graduation. Select the degree plan you are applying for graduation under, and click the Apply for Graduation link.
- Check this screen carefully to verify the correct information is listed for your degree, major(s), and any minors or emphasis/specialization areas. If errors are found, complete the necessary paperwork with your academic advisor and submit it for processing before proceeding.
- Use the Expected Graduation Term drop-down menu to select your graduation term.
- Answer the questions on the Verify Graduation Data page.
- If you answer yes to the external coursework question, return to the My Academics page after submitting your application and use the External Coursework for Transfer link to enter your course information; please be thorough. If you have not done so, also meet with your academic advisor to complete and submit the appropriate transient enrollment paperwork.
- Students are responsible for requesting their transcripts for all external coursework are forwarded to UT Tyler no later than thirty (30) days after the end of the UT Tyler semester in which they plan to graduate.
- Return the to My Academics page and use the View my graduation status link to enter/update your Diploma Mailing Address and review the status of your application. If you have specific questions about your application, contact your academic advisor.
Caps, gowns and other graduation-related items are available for purchase in the UT Tyler Bookstore located in the University Center.
Note on Final Graduation Requirements
All 'Incomplete / In-Progress' grades, official transcripts for external coursework, and other evidence of outstanding requirements must be submitted no later than thirty (30) days following the final day of the semester. Failure to submit evidence of all outstanding items by this deadline for any student will result in denial of graduation, and the student will need to refile for graduation (including paying the graduation fee again) after addressing the missing items.
Transcripts for external coursework should be mailed to:
The University of Texas at Tyler
Office of Admissions
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Texas 75799