Confined Space Entry Program
Environmental Health and Safety
Permit filled out by supervisors before approval is granted to enter a confined space. Employees entering confined spaces must have signature approval from their supervisor on the confined space entry permit prior to entry. No permit shall be valid for more than 24 hours after the time of issue by the supervisor.
5.1 ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY DEPARTMENT
- Develop, implement and maintain the Confined Space Procedure.
- Issue Confined Space Entry Permits to UT Tyler personnel or designate campus employees qualified to issue Confined Space Entry Permits. [A current list of designees will be maintained on an authorized list in Appendix B.]
- Provide centralized monitoring and certification ofconfined spaces as requested.
- Maintain monitoring records as needed.
- Maintain all confined space entry equipment and calibrate gas detectors as necessary.
5.2 DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT HEADS
- Ensure that each supervisor adheres to these procedures.
- Contact EH&S prior to initiating contracts with off-campus contractors that will involve confined space entry. Specific contract language is required to ensure that contractors provide an adequate level of protection to their employees while working at UT Tyler.
5.3 DEPARTMENT SUPERVISORS
- Ensure that UT TYLER employees under their direct supervision understand and adhere to adopted procedures during confined space entry operations.
- Assure that necessary education and training will take place prior to the employee being assigned to work in a confine space (see Section 6.0).
- Contact EH&S with as much advance notice as possible prior to performing confined space work. Notification should be made 24 hours in advance although immediate entry supervision is available during regular work hours.
- Maintain copies of all Confined Space Entry Permits.
5.3 ENTRY SUPERVISORS
- Determine if acceptable entry conditions are present at a permit space where entry is planned.
- Oversee entry operations for the duration of assigned work and terminate entry when conditions are determined to be unsafe.
- Perform air monitoring as required.
- Complete Confined Space Entry Permits.
- Because of the number of potential hazards that may exist or develop in the work environment, confined space entrants are required to use extreme caution at all times. Disregard for established safety practices will be brought to the attention of appropriate supervisors.
- Confined space entrants are responsible for reading and complying with procedures and guidelines provided by their supervisors and EH&S.
- Ensure that his/her confined space entry training is up to date.
- Assist entry supervisor and entrants as directed by the entry supervisor.
- Attendants may have other duties assigned in the area, but must remain within sight or calling distance of the entry supervisor.