Social Media Guidelines
Facebook is the largest social network in the world. Facebook can be a great way to promote activities within your department or program; showcase accomplishments and events; and engage students, future students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community.
Facebook should be updated frequently. Take a moment to consider if Facebook is the best way to reach your intended audience. Also consider the time and department resources needed to maintain a Facebook account.
Facebook Account Setup and Guidelines
- Departments, units, programs and organization sites are to be set up by the department head or with department head permission.
- Contact the Office of Marketing and Communications to apply for an official UT Tyler Facebook account.
- When setting up your Facebook account, use ONLY an official UT Tyler group email address for the account. Personal UT Tyler email accounts are not to be used.
- Have at least two responsible parties as administrators for maintaining your Facebook account.
- Once your account is approved and set up, contact the UT Tyler social media team to "like" the page, then set up email@example.com as a site administrator.
- The UT Tyler social media team is not responsible for updating department/organization sites, but will offer support and ensure continuity throughout any turnover in university personal.
- The UT Tyler social media policy must be followed at all times.
- Setting up social media accounts using just the university name is not allowed (i.e. "UT Tyler," "The University of Texas at Tyler," "UT Patriots," etc.).
- If the password is changed, please update the information with the UT Tyler social media team.
The UT Tyler social media policy and all other related university policies must be followed at all times.
- Facebook Terms and Policies
- UT Tyler Copyright Policy
- UT Tyler Logo and Trademark Trademark Policy
- UT Tyler Image policy
How to Use Facebook
- Facebook has pages and groups. Know which one will work best for you.
- Pages are accessible by the general public. They are searchable and can be seen by anyone, even if they are not registered or logged into Facebook.
- Groups are helpful if your goal is to create a small community on Facebook. Groups can be created by anyone and about any topic. They can be kept closed or secret, or an open group can be created. Groups work well for student organizations.
- Keep your contact information accurate and up to date. Do not include personal contact information on your UT Tyler Facebook account unless it is appropriate to the purpose of your organization. In that case, keep it to a minimum.
- Add a link to the UT Tyler social media policy statement from your Facebook "About Page.''
- Who to follow? Don't follow out of obligation, follow who is relevant to your page.
- Always obtain consent if you post photos/information about someone.
- Monitor comments on your Facebook page daily and respond to those that warrant it.
- Delete only comments that include personal attacks or vulgar/racial slurs. Do not delete comments simply because they are critical. Instead, respond directly to the individual with additional information.
- Do not use the UT Tyler/Patriot logos as your profile picture. This is reserved for the official UT Tyler Facebook account.
- For a UT Tyler logo designed with your office/department information and/or cover image, contact the UT Tyler Web team.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Account backup requirement: After creating your login credentials, share that information with the UT Tyler social media team.