Social Media Guidelines
Pinterest is quickly becoming a virtual pinboard for sharing web resources and can be used for sharing interesting or relevant photos and information. While Pinterest can be rewarding, it can also be time consuming. Consider the time and department resources needed.
Below are guidelines for official units, programs, departments, research facilities or schools for a Pinterest account.
UT Tyler Pinterest guidelines
UT Tyler Social Media guidelines must be followed:
- Contact Marketing & Communications to obtain permission to set up an official Pinterest account.
- It is highly suggested that a UT Tyler Department Facebook account is used to set up Pinterest accounts. (UT Tyler Web Team is to be included on the Department Facebook account.)
- If a Facebook account is not used, use a group UT Tyler email account with at-least THREE UT Tyler users and add email@example.com as a pinner. It is NEVER permitted to use a personal UT Tyler email account or personal email account to set up a department or official unit UT Tyler social media account.
- Include the UT Tyler webteam as a pinner to your department account, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The UT Tyler Social Media guidelines must be followed.
- Accounts must be set up using acceptable names. Examples of acceptable names: "UT Tyler Department of Biology", "The University of Texas at Tyler Library", "UT Tyler GATE" or other names related to the department. Setting up Social Media accounts using just the university name is not allowed. (i.e. "UT Tyler", The University of Texas at Tyler", "UT Patriots", etc.)
- UT Tyler Copyright policy and UT Tyler Logo and Trademark Trademark policy must be followed.
- Pinterest Copyright policy and Pinterest Trademark policy must be followed.
- UT Tyler Image policy must be followed.
Setting up any social media account must first be cleared through Marketing and Communications.
Rules of Thumb
- Organize. Create boards and post photos related to your department. Do potential students really want to see pictures of cute puppies?
- Descriptions.Tell us about the photo content using appropriate keywords. This will help the search. (Don't forget to link back to UT Tyler from the text and the photo)
- Link. If using photos related to UT Tyler, ALWAYS link back to the most relevant website from the photo.
- Don't post a pic and claim at as your own. Follow Pinterest guidelines and link back to the original source.
- Please do not pull photos from the UT Tyler website without first obtaining permission from the Marketing and Communications.
- Are your photos the right size? Photos too large or too small will not be popular or pleasing to the eye.
- Monitor. Pinterest does have it's share of spammers. You may spot spammers by a large amount of pins posted or how none of the pictures link to relevant contnet. You can report unpin-worthy content accounts to Pinterest.
- Who to follow. Don't follow out of obligation, follow who is relevant to your page.
- Don't repost screenshots.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com