UT Tyler Office of Student Affairs
BudgetingCreating a budget is one of the first steps to financial independence. Planning out your expenses can keep you from overspending and allows you to see where the majority of your money is going. You can use our budgeting excel spreadsheet below to get started on creating your month to month budget. Also, check out some of the articles below on addressing whatever financial challenges you might face, whether you’re a college student or a parent to one.
- Budgeting Excel Spreadsheet: Personal Monthly Budget Planning Guide (Excel)
Articles for Students
Articles for Parents
Teaching your child about financial responsibility is a great step in helping them become financially independent. The articles below are great resource to help you reach out to them.
- How to teach your kids the value of a dollar
- Become a Money-Smart Parent
- Crash Financial Course for College Frosh
- Surprise! More College Costs
- College Expenses(.pdf)
- Financial Goals Worksheet (.pdf)
- Personal Monthly Budget Planning Guide (Excel)
- On-Campus Planning Guide(.pdf)
- Off-Campus Planning Guide(.pdf)
- Clutter Control Checklist
- UT Tyler Cash Course
- CNN Money – Money 101- This is a step by step guide to gaining control of your financial life. It gives valid lessons with steps, quizzes, and valuable information on how to manage your money efficiently.
- Reality Check- After high school you will need resources to help support your lifestyle. The Reality Check website is a great website to put all of that into perspective. It allows you to figure out your finances while choosing the career of your choice. Take time to go through the modules and see what to expect financially in the future.
Money Management Calculators
If you are looking for more complex information regarding money management, savings, or budgeting, the following links are available to assist you with building a strong credit history
This site contains links to other sites outside of The University of Texas at Tyler. UT Tyler is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.