Catholic Sisters:
Articles from Civil War Era Newspapers
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, July 24, 1861, p. 1, c. 6
               
"The Sisters of Charity."--The friends of our sick soldiers at Norfolk may feel assured that every kindness and attention that can avail to comfort and cure them are ministered by the Sisters of Charity at Norfolk.  The letters from the army are full of praises of these angels of mercy.  We have a young friend, who probably owes his life to their unceasing watching and careful nursing.  Dr. Nott, in his letter published elsewhere, writes in the same strain.  A letter just received by us from a member of the 3d Alabama Regiment, says:
               
"______ is much better now, and is rapidly improving.  I have been in to see him several times, but as the Sisters told me he was not dangerously ill.  I have not written about him, for fear of causing uneasiness.  He gets every attention and kindness that good nursing and medical treatment can afford.  All of the soldiers have fallen in love with the Sisters for their kindness and devotion to those who are sent to their care.  ______ was in their hospital for several days, and says he could not have been more tenderly and carefully nursed in his mother's house.
                                                                                                     
Mobile Advertiser and Register.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, August 14, 1861, p. 1, c. 3-4
                                                                                               
Richmond, Va., August 12.
. . . Thus one passes on from bed to bed through the many wards, and reads the awful moral of this unholy war in the saddest illustrations which the vices and passions of men can furnish.  And yet, through all this gloom and suffering, a gleam of light shoots like a golden thread on a funeral pall.  I have told you how clean and neat the rooms are, and how comfortable the patients look.  And the secret of the pleasant fact lies in that woman flitting across the corridor, with her gray serge dress and tidy blue apron from chin to toe, and bonnet blanc, whose wide flaps, white as a snow drift, and stiff with starch, wave over her shoulders like a pair of wings.  She is one of that devoted band of good women, known all over the Christian world wherever there is sorrow to be assuaged, or pain relieved, or comfort administered, whom we name "Sisters of Charity," but who should be called the "Angels of the Earth."   Her step is swift-paced and noiseless, her hand light and soft, her care and attention devoted, unobtrusive, intelligent, gentle and consoling.  She it is on whom these grave, thoughtful surgeons lean, to support and carry out all their directions for the sick; and these miserable men to lighten the burden of their pain and captivity.  If a biscuit or a mattress, a cup of water, a clean pillow or fresh bed or body clothes are wanted, the universal demand which satisfies every desire is, "Call a Sister!"  Day and night, with tireless patience; kind, considerate and obliging to all alike; asking no recompense and accepting no reward, their skilful ministrations are bestowed on these wounded enemies, whose malignant hate and unspeakable purposes of rapine and violence to their sex (had victory crowned their arms), they are now repaying with a care and gentleness "mild as any mother's to a sick child."  With such a reality before us, we may well pass by with contempt and scorn the foul charges of cruelty which the Northern press has falsely laid upon us, and retort upon them their own inhumanity and unchristian neglect in neither tending their wounded nor securing decent burial for their dead . . .
   

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, August 15, 1861, p. 2, c. 7

Our own Correspondent.
From the Seat of War in Virginia.

                                                                                                                                Richmond, Aug. 5th, 1861.
. . . All of the enemy's wounded, and many of the desperate cases of our own regiments are sent to a fine building in the subburbs [sic] of the city known as the New Alms House.  Others are in various hospitals, or scattered among private families—these latter fare well, and have every attention that humanity can give and every luxury or delicacy that the market can afford.
               
My visits to the Alms House hospital have been painfully interesting.  The sufferers of the enemy are as well, if not better, attended to as those of our own army.  Females are very conspicuous in their attentions—the Sisters of Charity are administering to the comforts of the poor fellows; they do not ask if they are Protestant or Catholic, they attend alike to every one.  The ladies of all denominations send in little delicacies which the invalid craves, and many a dim eye casts a look of gratitude upon the fair face that looks down anxiously upon him and the soft lips that breath forth words of kindness. . .
                                                                                           
                                Quod.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, August 20, 1861, p. 1, c. 7
               
The old Marine Hospital between the Navy Yard and Fort Barrancas, below Pensacola, has been provided with all necessary appliances for the treatment of the sick, and placed under charge of the Sisters of Charity, of whom six have been sent from Mobile, and two or three from New Orleans.   

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, August 22, 1861, p. 2, c. 6

St. Mary's Academy.
Little Rock, Arkansas.
(Under Charge of the Sisters of Mercy.)

                This Institution is beautifully situated on the square at the corner of Louisiana and Elizabeth streets.  The buildings are spacious, and the grounds extensive.
               
The course of studies embraces the English, French and Italian languages; History, Geography, Philosophy, including Astronomy and the use of the Globes; Arithmetic, Algebra, Botany, Vocal and instrumental Music, Drawing and Painting, and all kinds of useful and ornamental Needlework. . .
               
Besides the Uniform, which will consist of brown Merino for winter, and pink Gingham for summer, together with black silk aprons, each young lady will require eight changes of linen. . . .
                                                                                                
                                Mother Superior,
                                                                                        
                                        Convent of Mercy,
                                
                                                                                                Little Rock, Ark.       

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, September 4, 1861, p. 2, c. 1
               
Raffle,--A beautiful Piano Cover, worked and presented to one of the Ladies' Associations, by the Sisters of Mercy, for the benefit of the soldiers, is now on exhibition at the Drug Store of Messrs.  A. A. Solomons & Co., to be raffled for as soon as the requisite number of chances shall have been taken.  Let all who have a small amount to invest in a patriotic object, go forward and take a chance in the Cover.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, September 5, 1861, p. 1, c. 2
               
Several Sisters of Charity have recently arrived in Richmond from the vicinity of Washington, and are now engaged in attending the sick.  We learn that they solicited permission to come from Old Abe and were refused passports, when finally, having determined to persevere in their mission of mercy, they escaped by stealth from the Baboon's dominions.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, September 21, 1861, 1, c. 1
               
The Sisters of Charity.--The world-wide benevolence of that revered order, the Sisters of Charity, meets in our city with an ample field for its exercise.  The casualties of the battle-field, not less than the diseases incident to those unaccustomed to the hardships of camp life, all contribute to swell the catalogue of human ills, and leave in our midst objects of their attention, not less of the enemy than our own.  Where sickness and death visit the hospitals, where are congregated the weary, wounded and dying, there, gliding in to succor and console, the sisters came upon their errand of mercy.  The couch of disease is made easier by their presence; the pillow of the dying is smoothed by their care; friend and enemy alike receive their soothing attentions.--Worldly fame they ask not.  Unobtrusive in their charities as in their garb, they engage in their labor of love, actuated by that pure philanthropy which has its source in a higher sphere than earth.  The task imposed upon themselves, and faithfully executed by these self-sacrificing women, sometimes "even unto death," should entitle them to the rewards of the blessed.  Some of those now in our midst came from Washington, by stealth, after in vain soliciting from the petty tyrant who reigns there, permission to pass the bounds of his army; some came from the far South.  Come, however, from where they may, they all act as ministering angels, actuated alone by the desire to do good.--Richmond Examiner. 

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, October 1, 1861, p. 2, c. 1
               
Raffle.—We were shown, yesterday, a raised-work Saddle Cloth, which is a very beautiful piece of workmanship, from the hands, we learn, of the Sisters of Mercy.  It has been generously given for the benefit of the families of Company B, Irish Volunteers, and will be disposed of by raffle so soon as the chances are taken.  It will be deposited at the Restaurant of A. B. Luce, on exhibition, for a few days.
   

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, October 17, 1861, p. 2, c. 7

The Concert.

                On Tuesday night the ladies and gentlemen of this city gave another concert and a number of tableaux, at the theatre hall.  Though the night was cloudy and threatened rain, the hall was filled to overflowing.  The songs were well received and some of them with a degree of enthusiasm not often manifested on such occasions.  The life pictures were well selected and carried out.  Every body was pleased and united in giving praise to the patriotic performers for their tasteful and handsome entertainment.  One of the features of the evening was the reception of a valuable picture, in embroidery, from the Sisters of Mercy, to be sold and the proceeds applied to aid the brave volunteers.
               
The selection of songs and music was better than in the first concert, as the songs were simple, more generally understood and appreciated, and there was a greater variety of tableaux.

[LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS TRUE DEMOCRAT, November 21, 1861, p. 2, c. 4

Complimentary.

                At a meeting of the Little Rock Grays, the following resolutions were unanimously passed, 8th November, 1861. . . .
               
Resolved 9th, That to the Sisters of Mercy, of Little Rock, for the interest shown us in embroidering our flag, and the zeal they have displayed in the holy cause for which we battle, have our humble but sincere thanks. . . .
                                                                                                
                1st Lieut. Franklin,
                                                                                                
                Com'dng Little Rock Grays,
                                                                                                
                1st Ark's Battalion, Chairman,
2nd Lieut. Geo. Moore,
               
Acting as Secretary.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, December 11, 1861, p. 2, c. 1
Six Sisters of Mercy will leave Charleston to-morrow, on their way to Western Virginia, to nurse the sick in our army hospitals there.
 

CINCINNATI DAILY ENQUIRER, April 10, 1862, p. 3, c. 5
    
           Mayor Hatch set to work immediately on the receipt of the news of the battle and chartered the Lancaster No. 4, which he furnished with hospital and other stores, for the relief of our Ohio soldiers.  She sailed at eleven o'clock last night.  The Chief of Police and twenty-five of his most faithful police, three Sisters of Charity, together with the Mayor's wife and daughter, accompany the boat.  Drs. Vattier, Blackman and ten other surgeons are also on the Lancaster.  The Mayor received a dispatch last evening from Governor Tod, authorizing him to charter another boat and have her ready to sail at nine o'clock this morning.  That Lieutenant General Stanton, the State Treasurer, Dr. Dorsey and Surgeon-General Weber, with a large number of nurses and physicians, would arrive on the early train and immediately go on board.  At the hour at which we go to press the Mayor was still engaged with the preparations for this expedition.  He was authorized by the Governor to employ twenty-five nurses. 

DUBUQUE HERALD, April 16, 1862, p. 4, c. 2
    
           The Wounded Soldiers.--It has been published in a city paper that two Sisters of Charity from here went to take care of the wounded.  This is a mistake, but there is little, if any, doubt of the willingness of not only two, but twenty of them to go on that charitable service, if an opportunity be afforded them.  Nothing better could be done in the interests of humanity by those who have had no opportunity to serve their country in a more hazardous manner than to do something now to send forward such persons as offer themselves to care for the poor, wounded, sufferers, many of whom will die or be subjected to cruel operations for want of proper attention to their wounds.  We need not say how valuable, how serviceable ten or twelve or more Sisters of Charity would be among the thousands of wounded children of Iowa, who, probably are not the best provided for with such attendance as should be given to them in their afflictions.  These suggestions are thrown out for the consideration of the community, and we merely add that whatever be done in conformity with our ideas, should be undertaken and carried through without delay.  Battle wounds need early and constant attention, without which, many a valuable life will be lost.  Let us all try to do something therefore for the wounded. 

CINCINNATI DAILY ENQUIRER, April 18, 1862, p. 3, c. 6
                               
Arrival of the Lancaster No. 4--List of the Wounded Upon
                               
Her--Report of the Chief of Police.
    
           The following able report of the Chief of Police was made to His Honor, Mayor Hatch, immediately upon her arrival:
                                                                                                               
On Board Lancaster No. 4
                                                                                                               
Cincinnati, Ohio, April 17.
Hon. Geo. Hatch, Mayor:
. . .           Dear Sir:  When we received the news of the battle of Pittsburg, Tennessee, on Wednesday, the 9th, at 1 o'clock, you ordered me to charter a steamboat and to proceed to the scene of action immediately, with a portion of my force, and such stores as I could get on board, for the relief of the wounded and the dying.  In compliance with your order, I chartered the Lancaster No. 4, and hurried on board such stores as I could command, and at 1 1/2 o'clock we left the city, having under my command twenty-eight of the police force, consisting of Messrs. Wm. Montgomery, Lieutenant F. T. Davis, J. G. Gallagher, John Mars, Edward Tudor, Harvey Britt, Michael Hogan, Jas. Cary, Len. Bowers, D. T. Hoke, Elias Arnda, of Ninth street Station, Thos.   Butler, Edward Haley, Edward Jenkins, Edward Hudson, of Hammond street Station, Joseph Bunner, Thomas Mooney, Edward Mullen, John Molloy, of Pearl street Station, Patrick Robbins, Geo. W. Palmer, Barney Arling, David S. Miller, Charles Crawley, Jas. McClellan, Peter Leiche, John Scatchman, of Bremen street Station.  The expedition was accompanied by Professor Blackman, Dr. J. L. Vattler, Millton Saylor, Professor of Chemistry, Mr. Goodsell, Student of Medicine, E.  B. Torrence, the wife and daughter of your Honor, and Sisters Anthony, Theodosia, and Camille, of St. John's Hospital.  We halted at Louisville for a few hours, when our Surgeon made a requisition upon the Medical Director for hospital supplies, which were promptly furnished. . . 

DAILY MISSOURI REPUBLICAN, April 19, 1862, p. 2, c. 3

The "Empress" a Hospital.

On Thursday, the 10th instant, the "Empress" left St. Louis for Pittsburg Landing, having a cargo of forage, horses and cattle, and as passengers, James E. Yeatman, Esq., President of the Sanitary Commission, Drs. Aspel and Grove, Brigade Surgeons, and quite a corps of nurses and Hospital attendants, among whom were Mrs. P. A. Child, Mrs. Wash. King, Mrs. E. D. Couzins, Mrs. Fisk, also seven Sisters of Mercy and other attendants, also Doctors Barnes, Bywater, Morton, Rumbold, May, Pollok, Henry, Ennis, Douglass, and others whose names I did not learn, all volunteers in the cause of humanity.  Arrived at Pittsburg on Sunday, 13th, at 9 A.M., and immediately commenced receiving the wounded, (the boat having been selected by the commission for a Hospital.)  Got all the freight out on Tuesday morning and received quite a number of wounded; proceeded to Savannah and filled up all the beds with sick and sounded, 362 (?) in number, besides a number of wounded officers, occupying state rooms. . . .
                A military hospital is a place to study human nature.  Here is a soldier slightly wounded cursing those who wounded him, desiring nothing more than another battle.  There are two more seriously wounded--one with a broken thigh, the other with a broken shoulder; they are dividing an orange which Mrs. Couzins has just handed to the one with well arms.  One is a Confederate the other a Federal soldier.  Again you meet a stern countenance bearing marks of pain, but who when spoken to smiles; he says he wishes the war at an end.  Near him is a prisoner, a youth of sixteen years, weeping, not from pain, but he is fast leaving his parents and five younger brothers.  Near him stands an elderly volunteer surgeon, who, with trembling lips and moistened eye, is attempting to reassure the disconsolate youth.  Anon one of the Sisters of Mercy accosts the youth with kind and sisterly accents, and his tears are tried and the sunbeam of hope is in his eye....
                Let us turn our eyes from this dark picture, and see those angels of mercy flitting about and ministering to the necessities of their fellow beings; see the wealthy and delicate lady, who has hardly ministered to her own wants, now assisting in dressing horrible wounds, see the Religious, with all sisterly and untiring energy, giving drink to one, food to another, and kind, counseling words to all.  Who shall reward such disinterestedness?  "I will repay, saith the Lord." ...  
                                                                        
Oliver.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, April 30, 1862, p. 1, c. 6
               
The Sisters of Charity have under their charge a large hospital at Corinth and, as is always the case in their hospitals, it is admirably arranged and conducted.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, April 30, 1862, p. 2, c. 2
               
Death of a Well Known Sister of Charity.--The New Orleans papers announce the death, on Wednesday last, of Sister Regis Barrett, whose good deeds in the yellow fever hospitals and orphan asylums has made her name a household word in that city.  Her age was 56.  She joined the Sisters of Charity in 1826, came to New Orleans in 1835, and established the Camp-street Orphan Asylum, the St. Elizabeth Asylum, the St. Vincent Infant Asylum, and an Orphan Asylum in Carrollton.  Rich and poor alike admired Sister Regis for her many virtues.  It may truly be said of her, that she spent her life in doing good--in promoting
                               
"The charities that soothe, and heal, and bless." 

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, May 1, 1862, p. 1, c. 5
               
Death of a Noble Woman.—We take the following merited tribute from the New Orleans Bulletin of the 24th ult.:
               
Death of Sister Regis:--It is with no ordinary feelings of sorrow that we announce the death of one who has been so long revered and beloved by our entire population, irrespective of nationality or creed.      For more than a quarter of a century Sister Regis has been identified with the cause of Charity in New Orleans, in its most touching and beautiful aspect.  Under her judicious plans and energetic administration, the Asylums for the shelter, support and education of female orphans have increased in usefulness and number, and been perfected in all their arrangements and regulations, until they have reached a point where they are hardly capable of further improvement.  In the St. Vincent's Infant Asylum, the Camp Street Orphan Asylum and St. Elizabeth's Industrial Asylum, the female orphan is sheltered and nursed in her infancy, supported and educated in her childhood, and taught a remunerative trade in her maturer years, that enables her finally to quit the happy home of her youth and go forth into society with fixed principles to guard her against the temptations of the world, and industrial skill to secure her independence.
               
For this harmonious, comprehensive and efficient system the public are mainly indebted to the provident forethought and unwearied labors of Sister Regis.  It has been under her ministering love that all this has been designed, arranged and effected.  The charitable of all denominations have felt both a pleasure and a duty in aiding her in its accomplishment.  All will deplore her loss.  All will feel that her summons to receive the immortal crown due to her self-sacrificing devotion to the cause of charity, has broken a tie that united them in this life to one whom they loved and honored while living, and whose memory they will never cease to cherish and revere.
 

CHICAGO DAILY TRIBUNE, May 5, 1862, p. 1, c. 1
From Cairo.  [Special Dispatch to the Chicago Tribune.] Cairo, May 2d, 1862.
The steamer Louisiana arrived here to-day with nearly four hundred sick from Pittsburg. ...
The steamer Champion, chartered by the State to remove the wounded from Pittsburg, left this evening for the Tennessee, with Gov. Yates, Private Secretary Moses, Hon. G. M. Hatch, Major Allen, Hon. E. P. Ferry of Lake, Hon. W. Bushnel of Ottowa, Hon. Thomas Henderson of Stark, and Drs. Tiffany, Brownell, Gore, Miller, Durham, and Robins of the Chicago Sanitary Commission, and a large corps of nurses, with fifteen tons of sanitary stores on board.  The steamer Southwester also left for the same point, with hospital supplies and twelve Sisters of Mercy on same benevolent errand. 

CHICAGO DAILY TRIBUNE, May 9, 1862, p. 3, c. 3
Sick and Wounded Soldiers from Corinth.  [From the Louisville Journal, 7th.]
The steamer Empress, Capt. S. Rider, having been chartered by the Government for a hospital, left Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, on Saturday, 3d inst., with over 500 sick and wounded soldiers in charge of Dr. F. F. Azpell late of Philadelphia, Pa., Surgeon Major, Dr. Buck, of the army, assisted by Drs. Spa?, Mack, and J. E. Enis.  The latter, although holding a position in one of the Departments at Washington, is now devoting himself to the care of our sick and wounded soldiers.  Nor should the services of the indefatigable hospital steward, Mr. E. B. Linsay, remain unnoticed, Mrs. Witherell is in charge of the linen room, and four Sisters of Mercy minister to the wants of the afflicted.  They are from Chicago, are assisted by three lay assistants.  The blessings of the sick and wounded follow them, as they, with untiring solicitude, attend to the necessities of these poor boys so long away from home and the kind attentions of mother and sister!  They have their reward.  Among the passengers is Capt. Wm. T. Ho????, aid to Gen. McCook, who rendered invaluable services at the battle of Shiloh.  He had been quite unwell previous to the battle, and his exertions on those eventful days completely prostrated him.  He returns home in order to recuperate in time to again serve his country. 

DAILY MISSOURI REPUBLICAN, May 18, 1862, p. 3, c. 5
                The floating hospital Empress, Capt. Ryder, arrived at St. Louis Saturday evening from Pittsburgh Landing with four hundred and forty-eight sick and wounded soldiers, after having touched at Evansville and left there three hundred and seventy-one--making a total from Pittsburg Landing of eight hundred and nineteen.
                The boat was in charge of Brigade Surgeon T. "F. Azpell, assisted by Doctors Buck, Ennis, Spayd and Mack; Steward, E.  B. Lindsay; Apothecary, _______ Leisler; with five Sisters of Mercy and three lay sisters as female nurses, and twenty-eight male attendants. 

WASHINGTON [ARK.] TELEGRAPH, September 10, 1862

For the Washington Telegraph.

     ... There is not a sufficient supply of bedding.  The soldier's blankets are not suitable.  Their great want is the presence of kind ladies.  Sisters of Charity have in many places the charge of Hospitals.  If we are to be without the presence of ladies in our Hospitals, though they have toiled almost incessantly.  We were comfortable last winter, being clothed with garments made by them, receiving their contributions.  Last winter when our soldiers encamped near your beautiful and hospital place, the ladies got up an entertainment, and the money thus gained went to our soldiers.  I feel assured that the ladies of Washington and the many other places where the Telegraph is read, will once more aid especially our sick soldiers....
    
           Little Rock, Aug. 28th, 1862. 

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [GRENADA, MS], October 18, 1862, p. 2, c. 7

The Ladies at the Hospitals.

The military hospital at Montgomery comprises four commodious brick tenements.  It can accommodate 1000 patients.
                A correspondent of the Columbus (Ga.) Enquirer thus notices one feature of it:
                A feature--a noble one too--is apparent at this hospital.  Six angelic Sisters of Mercy attended solely at this hospital, and you can perceive a spirit of devotion and kindness in their mild, complacent countenances.  They are from Mobile, and their names are Sister Mary Adelaide, senior, Sister Johanna, Sister Prudenta, Sister Mary Elizabeth, Sister Agnes and Sister Anastasia.
                These good women have devoted their lives to doing good, and may heaven reward them for the sacrifices they have made for the benefit of suffering humanity.
                During the passage of Bragg's army through this city, about seven hundred sick were left here, and out of that number only twenty-two died, and it may be justly claimed a small per centage when most of the deceased were so far gone on their reception for treatment.
                Recently a report was made to Congress of the condition of the hospitals in Richmond.  It was shown that the mortality was astonishingly less in those establishments managed by women than in those where the other sex had sway.  In one managed by the former it was only about three per cent.  The lowest of those managed by the latter was about six per cent. 

GALVESTON WEEKLY NEWS, October 29, 1862, p. 1, c. 1
                In a debate in the Confederate S. Senate on Hospitals, Mr. Semmes, of Louisiana, showed the importance of having female nurses.  He stated that the deaths in the Clopton Hospital, Richmond, where there are female nurses has only two per cent; in the St. Francis de Sales, presided over by the Sisters of Charity, the mortality was 3 per. cent, while in the hospitals presided over by men, the average mortality is 10 per cent.  Such facts would seem to be conclusive.   

[LITTLE ROCK] WEEKLY ARKANSAS GAZETTE, January 24, 1863, p. 2, c. 2

St. Mary's Academy,
Little Rock, Arkansas.
Under the Charge of the Sisters of Mercy.

                The second session of St. Mary's Academy, will commence its Academic course on the first Monday in February, 1863, charges for the various branches, as follows:

Terms:

Board and Tuition per Session of five months   $100 00

Day Scholars Per Session.

                First Class                                      $16 00                   
                Second                                                   14 00                      
                Third                                                      12 00                      
                Fourth                                                    10 00

Extras Per Session.

Music and the use of the Piano                              $18 00
Vocal ditto                                                              12 00
Guitar                                                                     12 00
Italian                                                                     12 00
French                                                                    12 00
Painting in Water Colors                                          10 00
German, Antique and Velvet do                               15 00
All sorts of useful and ornamental needle-work         10 00
Leather-work, per single lesson                                  1 00
Washing                                                                     7 00
Physician's Fee                                                           2 00
Stationery                                                                   2 50
Use of Bedding                                                           3 00        
All communications addressed to the 
Mother Superior, Convent of Mercy,                  
                Little Rock, Arkansas,
January 24, 1863. 

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, March 17, 1863, p. 2, c. 1
               
Laying of the Corner Stone and Dedication of a New Catholic House of Worship.—For several years the Catholic community of Savannah needed additional church facilities.  Under the care of the late Right Rev. Francie Xavier Gartland, First Bishop, the Church of St. John the Baptist on Drayton street, was enlarged, yet there continued a necessity for an additional building.  The Right Rev. John Barry, Second Bishop, used every exertion on his part to procure a suitable place, but he was called away from earth before he could consummate his desire.  The present, and Third Bishop of Savannah, the Right Rev. Augustin Verot, in July last purchased the commodious brick building on the southeast corner of Liberty and West Broad sts., and after some alterations and improvements he has succeeded in making it convenient and suitable for the purposes designed—a house of worship.
               
At ten o'clock this morning the solemn services of laying the corner stone and dedication of the building to the worship of Almighty God will take place at the Church.  At half-past nine o'clock the procession will form at the Church of St. John the Baptist, on Drayton street, and move to the new Church in the following order:
               
The Cross-bearer, in surplice.
               
The young ladies of the Congregation, under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy. . . .
 

WEEKLY COLUMBUS [GA] ENQUIRER, July 28, 1863, p. 3, c. 2

Detection and Arrest of an Alleged
Female Spy of Northern Birth—She
writes "Letters of Instruction" to
the Yankee Government—Interest-
ing Developments.

. . .           Enough having been elicited to warrant her commitment on the charge of being a spy, it was so ordered, but instead of being sent to Castle Thunder, the prepared receptacle of such persons, the commandant saw proper to commit Mrs. Allan to the maternal and religious care of the Sisters of Charity, at the Asylum St. Francis de Sales, Brooks Avenue, where she is kept under surveillance.—The letters intercepted and examined are evidently not the first productions of this woman's pen sent the same direction, and for the same purpose. 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, November 14, 1863, p. 2, c. 1
               
The Sisters of Mercy.--There is probably no one in this city whose eyes have not followed with interest the quiet and modest figure of some Sister of Mercy, as she passed upon her rounds.
               
It is to this gentle impersonation of christian [sic] benevolence, and to her associates, that our sick and wounded soldiers owe the tenderest of those ministrations which are better than medicines in their effect upon the languishing invalid.  Nor is the large kindness of these ladies solely displayed in the personal cares which they bestow upon the sufferer.  They give generously from their stores at the same time; and many a want is thus supplied which might otherwise have been left ungratified.
               
Since the beginning of the siege of Charleston their presence has diffused its blessings in every hospital, and their unwearied attentions to the soldier have done incalculable good.
               
In this labor of love the Sisters of Mercy need and deserve the assistance of our citizens.  Any contributions in their behalf will be thankfully received at this office. 

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, November 25, 1863, p. 2, c. 3
               
Death of a Sister of Mercy.—Sister Alloysius, an aged and useful Sister of Mercy, died at the Academy of St. Vincent de Paul, in this city, yesterday, after a brief illness.  Her funeral will take place this forenoon at the Church of St. John the Baptist.
 

CHARLESTON MERCURY, November 28, 1863, p. 2, c. 1
               
Death of a Sister of Mercy.--Died, at the Convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, on Thursday night, the 26th instant, Sister Mary Bernard Frank, aged thirty-nine years.
               
The deceased was one of the most esteemed and valuable members of that institute, to which our sick and wounded soldiers owe so much.
               
Attached to the Convent for the space of twenty-five years, she had become an adept in all those gentle ministrations which allay suffering and arrest disease.  Devoting herself with earnestness, and with the energy that always accompanied earnestness, to the cause of Charity, no labor came amiss to her.
               
In December, 1861, she went to Virginia, where she passed eighteen months in the sedulous discharge of her duty as a Sister of Mercy.  To her kind offices many a poor soldier is indebted for a care which may have saved his life.
               
While engaged in this mission of love, she contracted a disease which made it necessary for her to return to the Convent in Charleston.  There she continued to reside, in a state of ill health, until the day of her death.
               
The funeral services of this worthy lady will take place at nine o'clock, this morning, at the Church of St. Joseph, Anson street.
 

SAVANNAH [GA] REPUBLICAN, December 9, 1863, p. 2, c. 2
               
Sister Mary Claire died at the Academy of St. Vincent de Paul, in this city, yesterday.  This makes the second death among that noble sisterhood in the last few days.
   

[LITTLE ROCK] NATIONAL DEMOCRAT, December 26, 1863, p. 2, c. 6
               
New Year's Gift.—Mr. Palmer, at the Anthony House, has in charge one of the most beautiful dolls we ever saw, belonging to the Sisters of Mercy.  It will be raffled off as soon as the number of chances are taken.  Tickets can be purchased from Mr. Palmer.  The cause is one of charity and ought to be patronized.  If you wish to make a nice New Year's Gift to some nice little girl take a chance for the doll.

MONTGOMERY MONTHLY ADVERTISER, February 3, 1864, p. 4, c. 2 
                Initiation of a Novice.—A most interesting ceremony took place last week, at the Ursuline Convent, in Columbia, S. C.  This was the reception of a young lady into the community.—The Carolinian of Sunday gives the following particulars:           
                The sisters of this institution are bound by their vows to chastity, poverty and obedience.  A candidate for membership, after being admitted into the convent, passes two years as a novice, at the end of which time it is her option to return to the world or to assume the final vow which binds her for life.  The young lady above mentioned was Miss Fennel, formerly of Pensacola, Florida.  She was to enter upon her novitiate.              
                The ceremony began with the entrance into the chapel of a youthful candidate and the Mother superior, accompanied by a procession of nuns, who walked in double file, with lighted tapers in their hands.  The latter, separating on either side, left the young lady, with her superior, before the Bishop.  The appearance of Miss Fennel at this moment was interesting indeed.  She was dressed as a bride, in white Italian silk, with orange blossoms in her hair.  She wore, also, ornaments of rubies set in pearl.  The costume had a beautiful significance.         
                After a few questions as to whether she entered the convent of her own free will, the Bishop, in a quiet discourse, proceeded to explain the tone [?] and objects of the community.  This concluded, the candidate was led from the chapel by the Mother Superior, and in a very short while was again conducted back, having in her brief absence exchanged her bridal robes for the habit of the order.  Then followed the present of the rosary of beads, and the most touching ceremony of all.  Prostrating herself on the floor the young maiden was covered with a black pall, typifying her death to the world.  On her body, as she lay there, flowers were strewn as upon a corpse by several little girls arrayed in white, who stood near.  
                During the ceremony some beautiful hymns were sung by a choir of the youthful pupils of the institution.  The whole proceedings were full of solemnity and pathos.  

ATLANTA [GA] DAILY REGISTER, April 3, 1864, p. 1, c. 3

Correspondence of the Knoxville and Atlanta Register.

                                                                                                Gen'l Hospital Montgomery Ala.
                                                                                                               
March 30th, 1864.
                . . . While the coffee and eggs were being prepared we were amused by hearing some pretty sharp sparring between a Quartermaster and a Doctor.  The Q. M. began the attack by asking the Dr. if he had heard the latest definition of the letters M. S. which the Drs. wear in groupful embroidery on their caps.  The Dr. had not heard the definition and was informed that the M. S. stood for man slayer.  The Dr. looked a little crest fallen, but soon recovered and came back at his foe in this style.  "Well Captain, you hit us pretty hard.  I believe I can give you a new and truthful definition of the letters which make the handle to your name, A. Q. M., C. S. A., means A Quartermaster Can Steal Anything.
                The Q. M. retired from the fight and the crowd were inclined to believe that Aesculapius rather had the advantage of Mercury. . . .
                All my ideas of hospital life have vanished.  I shared heretofore the common prejudice against our hospital system, and thought our sick and wounded soldiers were neglected, half starved and cruelly treated.  I find the reverse to be the case.  From Dalton to Montgomery the hospitals are characterized by order, cleanliness and comfort, the Doctor's attentive to the wants of their patients, and courteous in their manners, the nurses kind, quick and obliging, the food nutritious and well cooked, the beds clean and every possible arrangement for the comfort of the patients.  This (the General Hospital), is a model for cleanliness, comfort and regularity.  Its [illegible] economy moves with the system of clock work.  Dr. Keyes [barely legible] who has charge of the officers ward, is one of the kindest and most thorough physicians I have seen.  In addition to the other and varied excellencies of this hospital, it is attended by the Sisters of Charity--those dear souls whose whole life is a systematized sacrifice of self on the altar of the good of others.  An abnegation of personal comfort, a tender ministration to the sick and suffering, a Samaritan like charity characterize this holy Sisterhood.  God's blessing must surely rest on the Church that is the parent of such an institution.  Their lives of abnegation have their reward even in this world.  The grateful prayers of those whose wounds they have dressed, whose fevered brows they have cooled, whose sufferings their mild ministrations have alleviated, must constantly go up to God as a sweet incense from the altar of their charity.--The hand that pens these lines must be cold in death when I cease to feel a tender gratitude for Sister Prudentia.  Long may she and her noble Sisters live to scatter the blessings of charitable lives on suffering humanity. 

MOBILE REGISTER AND ADVERTISER, April 7, 1864, p. 2, c. 4
Death of a Louisiana Hospital Matron.
               
Died, of cancer, at the Providence Infirmary, in Mobile, on Sunday, April 3d, Mrs. Sarah Ann Ingersoll, aged 42 years, a native of Bayou Sara, La., and for many years a resident of New Orleans.
               
Mrs. Ingersoll was the relict of the late Serg't. Stephen Ingersoll, of Company D, 1st Louisiana Regiment, Adams' brigade, who was killed in the battle of Murfreesboro', on the 31st December, 1862.  Without hearing of his hapless fate, she and her little daughter, of eleven years, were exiled from their humble home in New Orleans the following May, for refusing to take the Yankee oath of allegiance.  Nor did she hear of her husband's death until she reached Jackson, Miss.  She proceeded at once to Tullahoma, then the advance post of our army, with the vain hope of being able to reach his grave and offer the last sad tribute of affection.  Finding that impossible, and her means quite limited, with a little daughter dependent on her, and her only son away in the army of Virginia, she had to look around for some way to make a support.  She went to Atlanta and found employment as matron to the Roy Hospital, where she remained four months.  From there she went to Marietta, where she was employed as Assistant Matron in the Louisiana Ward of the Academy Hospital.  It was while there that her fatal disease first made its appearance.  After serving three months she became completely disabled, and asked to be sent to the more genial climate of Mobile.  She entered the Providence Infirmary on the 8th of February, and soon afterwards a consultation of able medical men pronounced her case to be utterly hopeless.  All that could be done was to endeavor to palliate her sufferings, and smooth her pathway to the grave.  This was done as far as possible by the medical attendant, with the benevolent aid of the good Sisters of Charity.  Her sufferings were inevitably great, but she bore them with truly Christian fortitude, until death, the great conqueror, came, a welcome visitor to her.  Thus died this good and patriotic woman who, like her brave husband, fell in the service of their country.  They had moved in the humble walks of life, her husband being an honest mechanic, a painter, of New Orleans.  But, what a contrast does their self-sacrifice present with the large number of the higher walks, who have succumbed to the barbarous Northern invader, and deserted their country in her days of peril!
               
Mrs. Ingersoll's remains were escorted to the grave by a number of Louisiana soldiers.  Her son belongs to the 5th Regiment Louisiana Volunteers—was captured at the battle of Gettysburg—and has been imprisoned at Fort Delaware ever since, unless recently released.  Her pretty and intelligent little daughter will surely not lack friends while her country remains free, and her countrymen revere the memory of its heroes and martyrs.
                                                                           
Louisiana Exile. 

FORT SMITH NEW ERA, March 25, 1865, p. 2, c. 2
               
We visited one day this week, the camp of the 18th Iowa Vol. Inf. situated in the pleasant grounds of the Catholic convent, near this city.  The Regiment is remodeling its quarters for the approaching warm weather, which, when completed, will be very comfortable and convenient ones.  Scrupulous cleanliness, reigns all through the camp.  The 18th Iowa, have been stationed here since '63, participated in the Camden expedition, and have gained the respect and good will of all loyal citizens.  Many of them, we expect, will make Arkansas their permanent home at the expiration of their term of service, judging from the many alliances they contracted with Arkansas damsels

FORT SMITH NEW ERA, March 25, 1865, p. 3, c. 1

Outrage Upon Arkansas Refugees.

                A family from this State, consisting of a Mrs. Hargrave and four small children arrived at Saint Louis lately, and shortly afterwards, the children were spirited away and found in the Convent of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, whence they were taken by the Provost Guard.  Soon after they were missing again and found in another institution of the same kind.  They were rescued a second time, only to be abducted again, and have not been discovered yet.  Archbishop Kendrick, addressed a letter to the Provost Marshal, in which he condemns the outrage, and expresses his surprise that a Catholic institution should have been engaged in such disgraceful and unwarrantable proceedings.—Saint Louis Ex.