UT Tyler Web Communications
What to Expect
(For OU Campus users) Keep in mind, the process of moving sites will take place through the end of the year.
As your Site is Being Moved
- You will receive an email that your directory is in the process of being moved into the new server.
- As each page is moved to the new server, your current pages on your current site will become “locked” within OU Campus.This prevents content from being updated on your current site while your new site is being built.
- If you need to access your page to make an update, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The web team will touch base with you during the process to let you know when your content will “go live” on the new site.
- Typically, the content will go live while the web team is finalizing the navigation and making final touches to your site.
- Once your site is complete, the web team will ask you to closely review each page very closely checking links and content.
- Once the web team has made any final changes to your site, the web team will submit your site to “Google Mini”, UT Tyler’s search engine.
- Within a week of your site launch, the old files on www2 will be deleted.
What is the Process? (What to Expect)
- The new front page is redesigned using either the two or three column template. Typically, the three column template allows the new site to take advantage of many new functions for the your department site.
- Calendar Widget
- More Information section
- Related Videos
- Right-side image rotator
- Chat with a Counselor
- Image rotators are built to coordinate with your site.
- Contact information resource file is built for the left-side navigation.
- Social Media resource file is built for left-side navigation for departments with social media.
- Image directory is established with access for your department.
- Files directory is established for .PDF’s, etc.
- Directories are then built within the site (if your department has a multi-level directory site) to begin the structure of the site. If your site does not have a multi-level directory site, it will be determined if re-structure is needed.
- Once the structure is designed, each page is then carefully built out one at a time. Pages are built out "as-is", content is typically "cleaned up".
- Time is taken on each page to check every link to fix broken links, correct style issues for usability and accessibility.
- Content is NOT re-written on inside pages, however style is corrected.
- Any new content needed must be sent prior to the site being built.
- Unique Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Metadata is written and added to each page.
- Title Tags
- Once all pages are built, PDF’s and other files are uploaded one by one to the server. This step is taken to make sure all unused files are not uploaded to the new server.
- Navigation is then carefully designed for usability.
- Site is launched in "TEST" or "BETA" mode.
- Users are asked to carefully review each page.
- Once your site is launched, you will use the "Send for Approval" button to send your pages to "rkelly" to allow the Web Team to quickly review your pages and publish to the server. This allows the team to check for style. More information about Send for Approval.
- Within a couple of weeks of your site launch, Emily Battle will work with Robin Kelly on front page content for SEO, marketing, writing for the web, etc. We will contact you when we are working on your front page content.
You may Notice these Changes
- As stated in the web publishing standards, PDF's should all be named with standard naming conventions. As content is moved over, PDF's may be renamed to follow these guidelines. If PDF's have names with dates attached, they will be renamed without the dates. Please see Naming Files, PDF's.
- For usability, accessibility and style, links with be changed to "call to action" links. We will change links like "click here" or go to http://www2.uttyler.edu/news/program/program.php. Please see Naming Files, Links.
- Using a personal email address is not appropriate for department sites. Please request a department address for your department if needed. See Naming Files, Contact Emails.
- Style changes to phone numbers (903.566.5555) and time (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Please see Time and Date style.
- Correction to font sizes, removing large Header tags. Please see Typography and Fonts.
What we Need from You
- Contact Information
- Department address, phone number and dept. email (not personal email).
- If you need a department email, email email@example.com.
- Social Media
- If you have Facebook, Twitter and/or any other SM, we will need the address for each.
- Clean up files
- Please make sure any pages you are NOT using are deleted from the server and not linked within your navigation.
- Clean up PDF’s
- If possible, have only the PDF’s you will be using in your files folder. Let the web team know these are the only PDF’s linked from your website.
What NOT to Expect
The UT Tyler Web Team will NOT build out additional web pages, PDFs or other content for your site during the site move. Please make plans to do this before or after your new site launch.
Most site graphics from the old site will not be moved to the new server. The new template has a very specific look and feel. The Web Team will work with you to develop your own style for your new site.
Training and Updates
Once users attend “New Template OU Campus Training”, access to the new site will be set up.
Each department within the new site is set up to have page updates approved by the web team. This allows users time to become accustom to new template guideline and style.