OU Campus Training and Standards
Identify Your Audience
- Can the user understand what your page has to offer and how to use your page within the first 5-10 seconds?
- Give users information they are looking for, not how amazing your service is.
- Use style, edits and content design that are consistent with top level pages of www.uttyler.edu
- Font style and size remain the same on all pages. (Be careful not to bring in erronious code when pasting from Word)
- Compare every page you build to other pages on top level pages of www.uttyler.edu. Is the look and feel consistent? UT Tyler Template Stylguide.
Use a call to action (descriptive) link when you ask a user to click on your link. Avoid URL links and language like "click on this link".
Examples of non-descriptive inline link text include:
- "Click here"
- "Learn more"
- Incorrect: More Information on Marketing and Information
- Incorrect: Click Here for Information
- Incorrect: Please visit http://www2.uttyler.edu/math/grad/program.php
The appropriate style for phone number is to use periods instead of dashes:
|Correct: 903.566.7203||Incorrect: (903) 566-7203|
The appropriate contact email for department webpages:
|Correct: firstname.lastname@example.org||Incorrect: email@example.com|
Please request a department email through firstname.lastname@example.org
Use generic file names when naming PDF's. Each time you re-upload your PDF, name the PDF the same file name. Use "overwrite" to replace the file.
The format of the page is set up for you including the font. Building and editing your page according to the UT Tyler Web Guidelines in OU Campus is simple if you follow these guidelines.
- Keep content clean, and to the point.
- NEVER copy content from other websites. Rewrite the content for your site.
- Use short paragraphs and bulletpoints. Long paragraphs and pages are not read by users.
- "Check back often for new additions!!"
- "Welcome to the Department of ... Website"
- Use H1 and H2 headings only at the top of each page.
- Keep all text left-aligned.
- Avoid erroneous HTML code into the HTML editor. (avoid <span> tags)
- Avoid extra spacing between paragraphs, remove extra space.
- The template font is pre-set. Bold font or italicized should be used sparingly.
- ALL caps should be avoided along with exclamation marks.
- Use text links to link back to other pages, avoid button graphics.
- Save your page often as you are working within your content.
- Do not center a paragraph; makes it difficult to read.
- Do not use the "heading" options to style a paragraph.
- The default is left-aligned text.
Avoid underlines within your text. Users will confuse underlined text with hyperlinked text.
Avoid uploading a new file (.pdf) each year. Instead, name your .pdf a generic name. When the departments updates the file, replace the file with the same file name. To replace your document, delete the previous file, then re-upload.
Always link to information
Use folders to store your documents. PDF files should be uploaded to the files directory.