OU Campus Training and Standards
Creating a New Page
NOTE: When creating new pages, email email@example.com with directory and page name. The web team will set the image rotator to your department rotator.
- Click on the Content tab.
- Click on “New” in the top right side.
- Click on New Two Column Page on the right side.
Next, fill out each box in the form.
1. Default Page Title will be the title that shows up on the very top of the browser, in the bookmarks and when users search the page. This is very important information for search engines.
Examples of a good page titles:
The University of Texas at Tyler | Admissions | College Admission Requirements
The University of Texas at Tyler | Parent Resources UT Tyler TX | Parents | FAQs
Heading and Subheading (H1) (H2)
These are the top titles that show up on the page
The first title heading should be either the title of the department or sub section of the page.
The subheading describes the information on the page.
Keywords: Entire up to 300 keywords describing the content on the page. Each page MUST have unique keyword data.
Description. Write a description of the content on the page
Information about housing options at The University of Texas at Tyler, including: residence halls/dormitories, meal plans, safety and security, locations of housing, cost of housing, and more.
Enter the content for the page. The content can be edited once the page is built.
New Page Name: place the pointer in FRONT of .pcf. The name should be a complete word or words.
New Page Access: Select the group your department is a member of from the pull-down menu.
Select "Create". Allow enough time for the page to create.
NOTE: Do not skip adding appropriate Meta Data (Title, Keywords, Description.) Doing so can result in bad Search Engine Optimization for your new page.
NOTE: you are now ready to edit your page.
It is very important NOT to paste content from WORD documents if you are not familiar with cleaning up code.
- If your page has several areas with sections not properly following the guidelines, use the "Remove Formatting" button to remove the code. Then, re-add the links and header tags.
- Content copied from the old server (www2.uttyler.edu) must be stripped of old code. To do so, build your page, then copy the content into the page. Once the page is in edit mode, highlight all of the content. Select the "Remove Formatting" button. This will remove all formatting. You are now ready to add links, header tags and bold tags to your page.