Binary File Naming Guidelines (PDF, Word, Etc.)
UT Tyler Web Publishing Standards
Naming PDF/Word Documents
- When naming documents,images or files, use lowercase separated by hyphens. Avoid spaces, capital letters or underscores. Users will receive an error when attempting to upload/rename a file not following these style conventions.
- Upload files into the correct "files" folder within the department directory. Attempting to upload into the incorrect folder will result in an error message.
- Updated files should REPLACE the current file. Any old files no longer linked to pages on the server should be deleted to prevent search engines from indexing old content.
Use a descriptive name for all filenames.
Example (filename and directory structure)
- YES: uttyler.edu/financialaid/files/application-for-appeal.pdf
- NO: uttyler.edu/nursing/1002-App-Appeal.pdf
- NOTE: ALL Old binary files should be deleted from the server in OU Campus.
- YES: uttyler.edu/admissions/files/ap-credit-score-guidelines.pdf
- NO: uttyler.edu/admissions/files/AP Credit Score 2012 updated.pdf
- YES: summer-camp.pdf
- NO: Summer_Camp_REVISED.pdf
- YES: exemption-request-form.pdf
- NO: Exemption Request Form.pdf
- YES: requirements.pdf
- NO: Requirements.pdf
Please work with the UT Tyler Web team before moving a file or directory or renaming files. Moving content could effect important links on the UT Tyler Web server and search engine optimization.
- Uploading/Updating PDF Files in OU Campus
- Creating a New Page
- Sending for Approval
- Left-side Navigation