UT Tyler Web Publishing Standards
Template Requirements and Guidelines
- All departmental pages must use the approved CMS templates. Use of university templates helps the university unify visual standards for online communication.
- All departmental pages must follow UT Tyler style guidelines.
- The template-based navigation system must be used by all sites. Creation of a complete, separate navigation system is not permitted (such as adding a separate header or footer navigation to pages within a site). Through consistent placement of navigation and page structure, users will become familiar with the university’s Web pages, increasing ease of use.
- Do not use copyrighted material unless written notification has been given from the copyright holder.
- All (X)HTML code must pass validation (error pass required, not warning pass) at http://validator.w3.org/.
- UT Tyler Web templates conform to the university’s own Web publishing policies. These requirements include accessibility, identity, meta tags, navigation and layout.
- The templates also conform to UT Tyler publishing guidelines. Web publishers are required to continue following the Web publishing guidelines, the OU Campus template style guide and OU Campus online training to continue to build consistent Web pages for the end user.
Representing UT Tyler’s visual brand and values online raises its own set of challenges. There are elements that must remain consistent to ensure clarity of identity and elements that are flexible.
The templates have been designed to address these principals:
- Clear UT Tyler brand identity.
- Positive experience for the user.
- Clear communication, navigation and usability.
- Consistent page structure.
- Flexible elements to portray departments, colleges, etc.
- Work across a wide variety of browsers and platforms.
- All pages must link to the UT Tyler default CSS.
- Editing HTML/CSS within the code is not permitted.
Template Structure and Implementation Guide
Online training for OU Campus users will step users through use of the UT Tyler template.
- While flexibility is available for your site, the look and feel must remain consistent throughout the UT Tyler website.
- It must be emphasized that in using the UT Tyler templates you are publishing information that represents both UT Tyler, your department, projects, faculty, etc. It is important that as an official university publisher you do not change any element that has been deemed constant.