Campus Concealed Carry at UT Tyler
The University of Texas at Tyler
The UT Tyler Concealed Handguns on Campus Policy has been approved by the UT System Board of Regents and will go into effect at all UT Tyler facilities beginning Aug.1, 2016.
Senate Bill 11 authorizes handgun license holders to carry their concealed handguns on campus and also requires each university to develop specific guidelines regarding campus concealed carry.
Under UT Tyler's policy, which was developed through an extensive process led by the Campus Concealed Carry Working Group, all licensed handgun carriers will be required to carry the handgun in a holster or other secure weapon case that completely covers the trigger and the entire trigger guard area. The holster must sufficiently retain the handgun in place so that it will not discharge in the event of sudden movement.
In addition, UT Tyler's policy categorizes certain areas as exclusion zones, where the concealed carrying of a handgun is prohibited. Signs will be posted at the entry points of areas identified in the policy as exclusion zones. Exclusion zones include all or part of certain buildings. Specific areas are detailed in UT Tyler's Concealed Handguns on Campus Policy.
Exclusion zones will include:
- UT Tyler Innovation Academy in Tyler, Palestine and Longview.
- Patient care areas such as the University Health Clinic, counseling rooms (located in portions of the UC and BEP) and athletic training rooms.
- Ticketed sporting events at any of the UT Tyler's athletic facilities, as required by law.
- Formal hearing areas for employee or student adjudication (portions of ADM and UC).
- Areas where handgun discharge may cause widespread harm such as labs with dangerous and/or explosive chemicals or with magnetic resonance imaging equipment (portions of BEP, HPR, RBS and the Fine Arts Complex).
- Areas in use for sponsored activities for students under the age of 18 who are not enrolled at UT Tyler.
The University of Texas at Tyler takes issues surrounding guns on campus very seriously and will strive to conform to the new law, protect the rights of citizens, and ensure the safety and security of the entire campus.