Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) MA Degree
The University of Texas at Tyler
Department of Psychology & Counseling
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
College: Education and Psychology
Test Score Required: None
TOEFL (international applicants): iBT score of 87
Letters of Recommendation: 3
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: Yes - Statement of Purpose and Department Supplemental Information Form
Deadlines: Please see department website.
Career Outlook: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Clinical Mental Health Counseling counselors will experience a 29% growth in employment opportunities through 2018. For more information, go to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Meet a University of Texas at Tyler graduate student
Advanced Studies Prepare You to Counsel Clients Facing Difficulties
If you are interested in counseling people facing a difficult situation, personal struggle, or other mental health concern, a master of arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from The University of Texas at Tyler provides the preparation you need.
- Gain education that prepares you to work in a mental health center or in a private counseling practice to counsel persons experiencing distress or a variety of psychoemotional disorders
- Complete the educational requirements to qualify for licensure as a professional counselor from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
Graduates of our master’s program often pursue doctoral studies. Others find employment as counselors in Tyler, East Texas and beyond.
Learn more from the Department of Psychology & Counseling
Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Theory-Based. Hands-On.
- Learn to use assessment and counseling techniques to help clients understand and work through their challenges.
- Gain practical experience counseling others through UT Tyler’s own psychology & counseling training clinic.
- Receive instruction and gain experience in group processes, human development, and the art and practice of counseling to help you more effectively serve future clients.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Faculty: Expert Educators. Dedicated Mentors.
- Gain insights into the art of counseling from professors who are experienced working with clients in such settings as Alaska Psychological Associates, Houston Galveston Institute and Garland Psychological Center.
- Benefit from small classes that enable you to participate and gain one-on-one interaction with your professors.
- Learn from professors who are published authors on such topics as Cognitive Disorders in Women;Juvenile Sex Offenders in Schools; and A Theoretical Model for Measuring Change.
Learn about UT Tyler psychology & counseling faculty
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Courses: Practical. Professional.
Assessment of Personality – Undertake an examination of personality assessment instruments that are used in a variety of settings. Administration, scoring, interpretation and psychological report writing for selected personality instruments will be covered.
Counseling Practice – Five clinical skills courses emphasize the acquisition of practical therapeutic techniques through role playing and modeling. Video and audio feedback, as well as direct supervision, is provided.
More about UT Tyler’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling masters' program of study