Meet a University of Texas at Tyler Graduate
Putting Smarter Teaching to Work
“I’m a teacher at New Tech High School in Coppell, Texas. I’m really excited by what I am doing in the classroom and I can trace a lot of it back to my master’s program at UT Tyler. That’s where I learned about project-based learning, a teaching approach I practice in my classroom. My students learn by undertaking an open-ended project that involves self-investigative research. I serve as a guide, supporting and channeling their efforts to maximize learning opportunities
“My education at UT Tyler caused me to analyze how I deliver instruction. It helped me think outside the box and look at the process of educating students in a new way. I built strong relationships with my instructors at UT Tyler that wouldn’t have been possible on a campus where classes were large.
“Now I’m working on my PhD in curriculum and instruction at the University of North Texas. The experience I had at UT Tyler prepared me well for everything I’ve encountered in my doctoral studies.”
MEd Curriculum and Instruction, 2008
Curriculum and Instruction MEd Degree
Online and Face-to-Face Options
- Reduced Tuition for Online Classes
- Teacher-in-Excellence Scholarship Available
The School of Education provides educators two options for advancing their craft through earning a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction. Our primary method of delivery is in an online environment. Our secondary method of delivery is in face-to-face courses to address the specific needs of various cohorts.
Enhance Your Teaching Career with Specialized Skill
Earn as master’s degree in education with a major in curriculum and instruction from The University of Texas at Tyler by completing 30 credit hours of upper-level coursework. This flexible degree program can be completed in as little as 2 years.
- Many online classes are offered to accommodate working teachers.
- Attend summer sessions that fit with your school’s academic calendar.
Most of our students are certified teachers returning to university to pursue career goals or advanced certification.
Learn more from The School of Education
Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction: Research-Oriented. Specialized.
- Choose from 6 cognates to focus your degree on your particular interests:
-Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Education
-Special Education (Online)
-Single Content Area (English Online)
- Earn a degree that equips you to teach in high school dual-credit programs and at the junior college level.
- Fulfill program requirements in your own school setting: Develop a research proposal, complete the research in your school and outline your findings in an in-depth written report.
- Develop the latest skills in the emerging technologies available to today’s educators.
Curriculum and Instruction Faculty: Respected. Community-Engaged.
- Study with professors who are respected experts in the education field and frequently published.
- Benefit from qualified professors with teaching experience in the public schools and a commitment to serve the community through such activities as: Reach Out and Read, Academic Rodeo, Troop Game Day for Senior Citizens and Tyler Together Education Task Force.
Curriculum and Instruction Courses: Blending Theory and Practice.
Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences – Study basic research techniques and methodologies in behavioral sciences.
Research Project in Curriculum and Instruction – Complete an approved research project under the direction of the advisor.
Curriculum Foundations – Explore the theory and design of curriculum materials.Career Outlook for High School and Junior College Teachers
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for secondary teachers are expected to increase by 13% through 2018. Opportunities for community college or junior college educators are expected to increase by 15% over the same period. For more, visit www.bls.gov/oco/ocos066.htm#outlook .
Find Out More:
School of Education
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Tx 75799
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
800 UT TYLER