English MA Degree (Online Option)
The University of Texas at Tyler
Dept of Literature & Languages
3900 University Boulevard
Tyler, Texas 75799
- Complete your master's online, face-to-face, or a combination of both.
- Non-Thesis and Thesis tracks available.
College: Arts and Sciences
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score
GPA: A minimum GPA of 3.50 on a 4.0 point scale on all upper-division course work
Letters of Recommendation: No
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: Yes
- Priority filing for fall semester May 1st
- Final filing for fall semester July 1st
- Priority filing for spring semester September 1st
- Final filing for spring semester November 1st
- No summer admissions
Career Outlook: Teaching on the community college level is one of a number of career paths open to a graduate with a master’s in English. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates that employment opportunities for postsecondary teachers will grow by 19% through 2022. Growth can be traced to an increase in college and university enrollment and to adults returning to college to advance the careers by updating their skills. For more information, visit Occupational Outlook Handbook - Postsecondary Teachers.
UT Tyler English Graduate Student Research:
- WITNESSING THE LOSS OF LANGUAGE AND ITS REBIRTH IN DORIS LESSING'S THE GOLDEN NOTEBOOK, A. S. BYATT'S BABEL TOWER, AND PAT BARKER'S REGENERATION
- THE RAGE OF ACHILLES: TERRITORIALITY AS A DEFENSE OF THE SELF IN HOMER’S ILIAD
- A COLLOQUY OF FREAKS AND OUTSIDERS: ORIGINS OF THE SOUTHERN GROTESQUE CHARACTER IN AMERICAN SHORT FICTION
Meet a University of Texas at Tyler Graduate Student
Deepen Your Study to Broaden Your Career Options
In-depth study in literature, rhetoric/composition and writing are key aspects of earning a master’s degree in English from The University of Texas at Tyler. Completing a graduate program in English can advance your career, prepare you to teach English at the community college level or take the first step toward a doctoral program.
- Complete your master's entirely online or through a combination of online and in-person courses.
- Choose to write a thesis or take additional courses to complete your degree.
Some of our MA graduates pursue doctoral studies, while others go on to teach at the junior college level.
Learn more from the Department of Literature and Languages
Master’s in English: In-depth. Individualized.
- Be assigned to a pair of professors who will work with you in guided, individualized study in your chosen area of interest.
- Take advantage of opportunities to teach core-curriculum English courses under mentorship as a graduate teaching assistant.
- Work in the Writing Centers as writing tutors under supervision.
- Master advanced research skills that will be an important asset to you in doctoral studies as well as in your future career.
- Study in small classes that allow you to be mentored by your professors and receive extensive individualized help toward your education goals.
English Faculty: Student-Centered. Well-Rounded.
- Learn with professors who are published book authors and award-winning scholars who also publish regularly in leading academic journals.
- Be mentored by professors who provide one-on-one attention to students to achieve their learning and career goals. Benefit from small classes for regular interaction.
Learn about UT Tyler’s English faculty
English Courses: In-Depth Learning. Research-Focused.
Bibliography and Methods of Research – Study bibliographical sources and techniques of literary scholarship.
Studies in Composition – Be introduced to the scholarship in the field of rhetoric/composition and the historical and contemporary movements in composition in preparation for the teaching of composition. Students read articles that represent major theoretical concepts in composition/writing studies, including but not limited to conversations from such fields as rhetoric, English studies, pedagogy, assessment, and new technologies.
Shakespeare – Complete an advanced study of Shakespeare’s poems and plays.
More about the graduate English program of study