School Counseling MA Degree – Online
Guide Tomorrow’s Students as a Professional School Counselor
A master’s degree in school counseling from The University of Texas at Tyler offers an excellent foundation to begin your career in counseling in a school setting.
- Complete your master’s degree program online in just 18 months. The program requires just 39 credit hours instead of the 42-48 credit hours typically required by programs in other universities.
- UT Tyler’s master’s in school counseling program has a 100% pass rate on the TExES professional school counselors certification examination, putting our graduates among the best prepared in Texas.
Graduates of the UT Tyler master’s in school counseling program are employed as counselors in school settings across East Texas and beyond.
Learn more from the Department of Psychology
Master’s in School Counseling: Creative Learning. Multicultural.
- Participate in a program that instills a fundamental understanding of counseling skills and teaches students to apply them creatively and in ways that respect cultural differences.
- Complete a supervised practicum in a school setting to gain valuable hands-on experience counseling students.
- Learn to apply current educational and psychological research findings in school counseling.
- Become a student member of the American School Counselor Association to network with other professional counselors and keep current with the latest developments in the counseling field.
School Counseling Faculty: Experienced Counselors. Talented Teachers.
- Study with professors who use iChat, Illuminate and other interactive media to engage students and enliven online learning.
- Learn from professors who are experienced counselors and dedicated to mentoring students in their educational and career choices.
- Participate in online courses taught by professors who are respected experts and researchers in the school counseling field and frequent presenters at professional conferences.
Learn about UT Tyler's school counseling faculty
School Counseling Courses: Online Learning. Practical Focus.
Cultural Diversity of Clients –Examine client diversity with respect to ethnographic, demographic and status variables, and culturally biased assumptions, which influence the provision of mental health services.
Foundations of School Counseling – Explore the profession of school counseling. Review the organization, planning and management of comprehensive, developmental school counseling programs. Learn about the roles, functions and identity of professional school counselors; coordination of student services; program development; professional issues and practices; and consultation. An orientation to graduate study, library research and the use of APA format for written work is also provided.
Internship in Professional School Counseling – Undertake a supervised experience in a public or private school setting for advanced school counseling students. The internship provides students the opportunity to apply theories, skills and concepts learned during the graduate program. Students will complete 200 hours (on-site) of counseling experience and one hour of weekly on-site supervision.
More about the UT Tyler master's in school counseling program of study
Find Out More:
MA in School Counseling (Summer admission only)
College: Education and Psychology
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score
Letters of Recommendation: 3
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: Yes - Statement of Purpose
Additional Departmental Documents: Yes
Deadlines: April 30th