Kinesiology Physical Education Teaching Option BS Degree
Prepare to Teach Physical Education
In a day when over 35% of children are considered obese, there is a growing need for professional physical education instructors with a passion for health and fitness. A University of Texas at Tyler kinesiology degree with a physical education teaching option equips you to enter this expanding field.
- The program has a 100% pass rate for students who take the Texas teacher certification exam.
- Complete your core educational courses through the UT Tyler College of Education and Psychology.
Graduates of the bachelor’s in kinesiology – physical education teaching option program hold teaching positions in many different schools throughout Texas and beyond.
Learn more from the Department of Health and Kinesiology
Bachelor’s in Kinesiology: Exercise, Education, Fitness.
- Complete all state requirements and be certified to teach physical education at all grade levels from early childhood through grade 12 in Texas.
- Undertake an educational program that is ideal for those with a passion for fitness, an appreciation for the recreational benefits of regular exercise and a strong desire to improve the health of others.
- Receive a strong grounding in teaching methods that will enhance your ability to work with students of all ages, K-12.
- Join the Kinesiology Club to meet others from your career field, including resources from the community.
Kinesiology Faculty: Field Experienced. Academically Strong.
- Some of the faculty have worked in physical education for as long as 30 years.
- Kinesiology professors publish regularly in academic journals documenting their research. Topics range from “Effect of Ultrasound Therapy on the Repair of Achilles Tendon Injuries in Rats” to “Randomized Trial of Physical Activity Self-Management Intervention for Patients With COPD” and beyond.
- Faculty members are fully committed to developing students to meet their individual career goals.
Kinesiology Courses: Invigorating. Rewarding.
Adapted Physical Education – Complete a study of selected disabilities with emphasis on movement characteristics and modification of activities and equipment to permit individuals to engage in leisure and sport activities, particularly in the school setting.
Human Motor Control and Learning – Undertake a study of principles and processes involved in learning and teaching motor skills, and the theories of control of movement. Application is made to sport, ergonomics and rehabilitation.
Teaching Methods in Physical Education – Explore the theory and development of skills related to effective instruction in physical education.
More about UT Tyler’s bachelors of kinesiology program of study
Also see The University of Texas at Tyler’s master’s degree in health sciences
Career Outlook for Physical Education Instructors
The growing national emphasis on children’s physical fitness brightens the prospects for those entering the physical education field. However, it is important to point out that dwindling state education budgets do limit the prospects for teachers in many areas of the country. For more about job prospects for teachers, visit Occupational Outlook Handbook - Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers , Middle School Teachers or High School Teachers.