Music BA Degree
Focus on Music in a Well-Rounded Education for Career Success
Earn a bachelor of arts degree in music from The University of Texas at Tyler that offers a balance between music courses and diverse study in the liberal arts to prepare for future study in graduate school or a teaching career in music education.
- Excel in UT Tyler’s School of Performing Arts, which serves as an artistic center and resource for the university and for the city of Tyler and surrounding communities.
- Study in outstanding college facilities that include the Cowan Center, a focal point for performing arts on campus and in the city of Tyler; Vaughn Auditorium that hosts touring productions and university functions; and Braithwaite Recital Hall, our venue for solo recitals and small chamber performances.
- Enter a college program that offers engaging courses, and opportunities for solo and ensemble performances and various presentations.
Graduates of the UT Tyler BA in music program are employed in such locations as Cedar Valley Elementary in Killeen Independent School District, Carlisle High School, Westwood Junior High/High schools in Palestine and All-Saints Episcopal School in Tyler.
Learn more from the School of Performing Arts
Bachelor’s in Music: Creative. Performance-Oriented.
- Develop tools for creative expression, problem-solving and analysis, and communication skills that will enhance your career in music or in any other field you may choose in the future.
- Take part in music classes with a favorable teacher-student ratio that encourages one-on-one mentoring and focused learning opportunities. Begin specialized music education in the first semester of your freshman year.
- Participate in performance groups including: Patriot Singers, University Chorale, Wind Ensemble, Tyler Community Band, Jazz Patriots, Chamber Ensembles, and Opera and Music Theatre.
- Interact and learn with energetic, talented students and faculty who will challenge you to achieve your highest standard of excellence.
Music Courses: Focused. Well-Rounded.
Music Theory I
Undertake an elementary study of melody, rhythm and diatonic tonal harmony in four voices and in simple instrumental textures. Emphasis on rudiments of music, voice leading, harmonic progression and elemental melodic forms.
Music History I
Survey stylistic trends, major compositions, composers and genres from antiquity through 1750.
Complete an historical overview of music from antiquity to the present day.
Find out more about UT Tyler’s music bachelor of arts program of study
For more information, visit UT Tyler School of Performing Arts.