Communication Studies BA / BS Degree
Master Skills Vital to Any Career Field
The ability to communicate effectively is an outstanding advantage in any career and in life. With a bachelor’s degree in communication studies from The University of Texas at Tyler, you will be ready to develop high-impact presentations, conduct effective and timely research and engage in ethical inquiry, navigate diverse communication styles, and think critically to make well-reasoned decisions.
- Build strong oral, written, and visual communications skills that can give you a distinctive edge both personally and professionally.
- Critically interpret and use contemporary forms of communication in order to creatively problem solve, make sound judgments, and demonstrate innovative and well-founded perspectives.
- Adapt to all types of situations by determining the best course of action and appropriate communicative approach.
- Navigate and critically think through the plethora of information presented to our society on a daily basis.
Graduates of the UT Tyler Communication Studies program follow many different career paths in the private and public sector, or continuing their education by working towards a master’s and doctoral degree.
Bachelor’s in Communication Studies: Broad Scope. Theory-Based.
- Study communication studies in small classes that are highly interactive and engaging, and that offer valuable mentoring by professors in and out of the classroom.
- Complete an internship in a field of your choice. The coursework completed before embarking on an internship will prepare you for wherever your passions may be.
- Connect with other students and area professionals in the communication field through the Communications Club.
Students may choose to earn a bachelor of science in communication studies, which does not include four semesters of a foreign language and a final written examination, which are BA requirements.
Communication Studies Career Outlook
A degree in communication studies provides skills for a range of careers as our graduates will be equipped with the most important skills employers are looking for in candidates. Our students will graduate with the ability to critically analyze and synthesize various information in the world, theories, perspectives, concepts, and principals. The courses we offer ensure students will be able conduct timely research, asking the important questions, and then present that material orally, visually, and in written formats. By graduation, communication studies students will not only know how to communicate effectively, but also navigate teamwork, ethical dilemmas, and problematic situations. Each of the skills taught through the varied courses offered in our program are highly sought after by employers nationwide. So, whatever your passion, we can help you get there.
Communication Studies Courses: Relevant. Experiential. Tought Provoking.
Complete a study of the human communication process within dyadic relationships. Topics include communication styles, skills and methods of interpersonal communication competency.
Study the flow of communication within formal organizations. Emphasis is on the interrelationship between interpersonal, small group and mass communication.
Business and Professional Communication
Explore public communication, small group communication and interviewing as they relate to the business/professional arena.