Taking the TSI Assessment
After the Office of Admissions has completed your file, your account will be reviewed to determine TSI status. If you are not TSI complete a TSI hold will appear on your myUTTyler holds list. The TSI hold will block enrollment. You do not have to be TSI complete in order to be admitted into UT Tyler, but you must be complete or have met with the TSI coordinator and signed a plan of success to be eligible to enroll in classes. If you do not know which areas of the assessment you need to take contact the TSI coordinator at 903-566-7180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once it has been determined you must take the TSI Assessment, follow these steps:
- Complete the mandatory TSI Pre-Assessment Activity.
- We highly recommend taking time to study before testing.
- Call the Testing Center at 903.565.5693 to make an appointment for the TSI assessment. The TSI assessment is given by appointment only, there is no walk-in TSI testing.
- Pay the Cashiers Office $35 at the One-Stop Service Center (STE 230) or 903.566.7180.
- Once you have your appointment, take your receipt, photo id, and the confirmation page from the Pre-Assessment Activity to the Testing Center, UC 3160. You will receive your scores immediately. Please bring them to the TSI coordinator located in the One-Stop Service Center (ADM 230) for review.
If you are not available to take the assessment at the UT Tyler Testing Center, you have the option of testing at another location. Please contact the Testing Center at 903.565.5693 to request a voucher.
Students Testing after January 1st, 2021:
Mathematics (for college-level coursework with a mathematics-intensive designation)
A college readiness classification (CRC) score of at least 950; or
A CRC score below 950 and a Diagnostic level of 6.
English Language Arts Reading (for college level coursework with reading, writing, or reading and writing-intensive designation)
A college readiness classification (CRC) score of at leas 945 and an essay score of
at least 5; or
A CRC score below 945 and a diagnostic level of 5 or 6 and an essay score of at least 5.
Students Testing Prior to 2021:
Passing Reading Score:
- 351 or higher
Passing Writing Score:
A placement score of at least 340, and an essay score of at least a 4; or
A placement score of less than 340, and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least a 4, and an essay score of at least a 5.
Passing Math Score:
- 350 or higher