National Survey of Student Engagement
Office of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
Data from the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) is administered to UT Tyler freshmen and seniors annually each spring semester. UT Tyler adheres to the Indiana University Bloomington Institutional Review Board (IUB-IRB) for governance of the NSSE administration and sampling protocol. Information on the required administrative guidelines is available at IUB-IRB Protocol. The 2018 UT Tyler response rate was 29 percent for first-year students and 20 percent for seniors.
NSSE survey items are grouped within five themes of Engagement Indicators adapted from the Benchmarks of Effective Educational Practice:
- Academic Challenge – including higher-order learning, reflective and integrative learning, quantitative reasoning and learning strategies.
- Learning With Peers – including collaborative learning and discussions with diverse others.
- Experiences With Faculty – including student-faculty interaction and effective teaching practices.
- Campus Environment – including quality of interactions and supportive environment.
- High-Impact Practices – special undergraduate opportunities such as service-learning, study abroad, research with faculty and internships that have substantial positive effects on student learning and retention.
2018 UT Tyler Reports
2017 UT Tyler Reports
2016 UT Tyler Reports
2014 UT Tyler Reports
2013 UT Tyler Reports
UT Tyler Reports Prior to 2013
NSSE annual reports prior to 2013 are available by request. Please contact the AIE office for copies of these reports.