Office of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
- UT Tyler is committed to self-assessment and to external reviews as an integral part of strategic planning, institutional effectiveness and to ensure continuing quality enhancement toward fulfillment of the UT Tyler mission.
- Participation in the review process emphasizes self-assessment and demonstrates a concern about quality, an ability to be self-critical and a willingness to act upon identified concerns.
- External reviewers are selected with particular reference to their records of experience and thoughts relative to broad issues of higher education within their respective disciplines. The external review is considered to be an appropriate assessment effort in the systematic evaluation of performance and accountability.
The external review process includes:
- Completion of a comprehensive self-study.
- A pre-visit review of the self-study report and support documentation by the external reviewer(s).
- A campus visit that includes meetings with all stakeholders. (The external review may be completed as a desk audit for online-only master's degree programs).
- A preliminary exit report shared at the conclusion of the site visit/desk audit.
- An external review report that includes all required review criteria and is provided in a timely manner.
- Integration of the external program review reports and subsequent action plans into the annual assessment plan.
Graduate Program External Reviews
Information and resources for external reviews of graduate degree programs that are not reviewed by external professional accrediting agencies are located in the UT Tyler Masters Programs: External Review Handbook.
In compliance with Texas State Code Rule 5.52, masters degree programs are reviewed by an external reviewer from outside the state of Texas on a seven-year cycle established with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Doctoral Program External Reviews
Information and resources for external reviews of research and professional doctoral degree programs that are not reviewed by external professional accrediting agencies are located in the UT Tyler Doctoral Programs: External Review Handbook.
In compliance with Texas State Code Rule 5.52, doctoral programs are reviewed by two external reviewers from outside the state of Texas on a seven-year cycle established with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the reviews include the 18 Characteristics of Texas Public Doctoral Programs.
Academic and Student Support Services External Reviews
Information and resources for reviews of non-academic departments and units are located in theUT Tyler Academic and Student Support: External Review Handbook.
External reviews of selected UT Tyler Academic and Student Support Services Units are conducted on a 7-10 year cycle. Performance indicators included in the self-study and external review reports are based on recognized criteria by the appropriate professional organizations and/or the current Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education. External reviewers are selected based on appropriate professional experience and expertise within the respective professional area.