UT Tyler Soules College of Business
Master of Business Administration
About the MBA Program
Total Semester Credit Hours = 36
The basic objective of the master of business administration (MBA) degree program is to offer individuals an opportunity to develop corporate leadership ability in an increasingly complex and dynamic global society by enhancing their knowledge, managerial skill and perspective. The broad, integrated curriculum provides the student with an opportunity to gain understanding of the major facets of multinational business operations in a competitive environment.
The program includes work in the theoretical foundations of business, quantitative controls, decision-making, the development of advanced functional skills, and the global and ethical environment of business. An opportunity is also provided for a limited degree of specialization.
The program is a non-thesis program designed for graduates from recognized colleges
of business as well as graduates in liberal arts, science, engineering or other fields
desiring to undertake professional studies in the area of business administration.
Degree: MBA (Online and On-campus Options Available)
Business Administration MBA Degree: 16-Week Terms
Business Administration MBA Degree: Executive Model
Business Administration MBA Degree: Accelerated 7 Week Terms - Online Only
General Graduate Admission Requirements
- Apply online.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit official and unofficial transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Admission to the degree program is determined primarily on the basis of predictors
of success in graduate study:
- a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- grade point average computed on the last 60 undergraduate hours and
- a satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). In rare instances the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) may be accepted in lieu of the GMAT.
- Submit official or unofficial GMAT scores to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Applicants with three or more years of extensive managerial work experience (earned in the U.S. or with a U.S. government entity) may request to have the GMAT requirement waived by the Program Advisor. This decision is made on a case-by-case basis; "extensive managerial experience" will typically mean a full-time supervisory or managerial position held for a significant period of time after completing the bachelor's degree as demonstrated with a resume. Applicants for the Executive MBA Healthcare Management Program (EMBA HCM) are required to have 3 or more years of managerial work experience. Such experience is evaluated by the Program to waive the GMAT requirement for EMBA HCM applicants.
- There are additional requirements for international students such as a detailed international transcript evaluation which determines an applicant's degree comparability to a US bachelor's degree (UT Tyler does NOT evaluate international transcripts).
MBA Additional Admission Requirements
There are no leveling courses for admission, and the program is open to applicants with a bachelor's degree in any discipline. However, MATH 1342 - Elementary Statistics is highly recommended prior to MANA 5305 (see degree plan).
Successful applicants have an index score figured as follows:
Last 60 hour GPA x 200 + Total GMAT Score => 1000
If a student's last 60 hour GPA = 3.25 or higher, the GMAT may be waived.
Provisionally accepted students may enroll in one semester for a maximum of nine hours before being required to submit a GMAT score. After this semester is completed, a hold will be placed on a student's account until GMAT scores are submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Subject to approval by the coordinator of graduate programs and the dean of the Soules College of Business, students may transfer up to nine hours of graduate credit earned at an approved university.
Online Testing Policy
The Soules College of Business is pleased to offer MBA courses online in an asynchronous environment in order to enhance their accessibility. In order to preserve academic integrity in these online courses, we observe the following testing policy:
- Classes offered online may have up to two tests/examinations offered in a proctored setting.
- These proctored exams should have meaningful impact on a student’s grade in class.
- Exams administered online should be proctored live using a proctoring service approved by the University. The use of services which only record the exam administration but do not offer live monitoring is not acceptable.
- Students must register for the proctoring service using information provided by the instructor.
- Exam proctoring will be at no cost to the student provided that the exam is scheduled in a timely manner per the course instructions. Students may be billed for cancelling or rescheduling an exam per the provider’s fee schedule.
All students will be required to provide their own webcam.
Graduate Programs Advising