University Counseling Center
Confidentiality is an important and sensitive issue to our clients and our staff. By law, information regarding you or your care cannot be shared with another person, professional, or agency outside of the Student Counseling Center without your documented permission. This includes, but is not limited to, parents, spouse, romantic partners, friends, co-workers, employers, professors, or university officials outside the Student Counseling Center, even if the student was referred by this person. No information becomes part of a student's academic records.
Below are some of the cases in which the law dictates that your signed authorization may not be required in order for your counselor to release information:
- Your counselor believes that you are likely to harm yourself and/or another person
- Disclosure of child abuse or neglect
- Disclosure of abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation of an elderly or disabled person
- Disclosure of a counselor in the State of Texas behaving in a sexually inappropriate manner with a client.
- If your records are requested by a valid subpoena or court order
- If you are a minor (under the age of 18)
In accordance with Senate Bill 212, as of January 1, 2020, when a clinician at the Student Counseling Center becomes aware of an instance of sexual violence, sexual harassment, dating violence, and/or stalking, the Counseling Center is required to share with the UT Tyler Title IX Office that an instance has occurred. We are only required to share that we are aware that an instance of sexual violence, sexual harassment, dating violence, or stalking has occurred, but we are not permitted to share any other information. Therefore, we will not share your name or any other identifying information about you, any details you shared with your clinician about the incident, or any other information about the situation you revealed. Please speak with your counselor if you have questions or you may also request contact with the Assistant Director or Associate Dean of Students for clarification.