Frequently Asked Questions

University Counseling Center

Where are you located?

The Student Counseling Center is located on the top floor of the University Center in Room 3170. Take the staircase in the middle of the UC, near the food court and we are just past the testing center.

How do I make an appointment?

Refer to the Appointments page on this website.

How long is each appointment?

Counseling appointments are generally 50 minutes long. 

If I make an appointment with your office, does it become a part of my academic record?

No. See the Confidentiality page on this website.

Is there a charge for services?

No, counseling sessions are funded through your student fees. There are no additional charges for these services.

What if I can't make my scheduled appointment?

Please call the front desk at 903.565.5746 or go online to fill out an Appointment Request form as soon as possible after you become aware that you cannot come to your appointment.Please try to call at least 24 hours before your scheduled meeting, so that your appointment time can be used by another student.

Can I schedule an appointment with a counselor to go over my class schedule?

No. Appointments for class scheduling must be made through an advisor. Counselors in the Student Counseling Center are here to assist with personal, career and study strategies counseling. We would be happy to assist you in finding your advisor.

Do you provide marriage/ pre-marital/ couples counseling?

Yes, but only if both are currently enrolled students.

Do counselors prescribe medication for depression/anxiety?

No. Only psychiatrists or other medical providers may prescribe medication. After attending a counseling session, your counselor may refer you for a medication evaluation either with a local psychiatrist or another outside resource.

Do you provide after-hours emergency mental health services?

The Student Counseling Center provides a 24-7 crisis line staffed by mental health professionals. Students, faculty and staff can reach the crisis line by calling 903.566.7254 and holding for a crisis counselor. The UT Tyler Police Department may also be contacted for on-campus emergencies.

What if I'm concerned about another person's behavior?

You may call and request a consultation with a licensed professional counselor in the Student Counseling Center. If you are concerned about the behavior of a UT Tyler student, you may file an electronic report with the CARE Team. If you believe this person is an immediate danger to self or others, please call 911.

Do many students use the Student Counseling Center?

Yes. In fact, it is quite common for students to come talk with a counselor. Just about anyone can benefit. No problem is too big or small. Many students enjoy talking in a confidential setting with an unbiased professional who is sensitive to the broad range of concerns that students have.

What if I am not happy with the counselor I am assigned, or with my experience at The Student Counseling Center?

We are limited in the number of counselors available, but generally, it is possible to change counselors if you do not feel you are well-matched with the person you are seeing. If you have difficulties with any aspect of your service, call 903.565.5746.

Do you provide counseling for Faculty and Staff?

No, UT Tyler provides an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that serves faculty and staff.

What are the qualifications of the counselors providing services in The Student Counseling Center?

There are four types of counseling service providers available in the Student Counseling Center:

  1. Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) hold a master's degree in counseling or related field, have completed at least 3,000 hours of supervised experience, passed a board exam and are regulated by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
  2. Licensed Professional Counselor-Supervisors (LPC-S) meet all of the above requirements, have held a license in good standing for at least two years, have completed 40 hours of training and are recognized by the same board as a supervisor.
  3. Licensed Professional Counselor-Interns (LPC-Intern) hold a master's Degree in counseling or related field, have passed a board exam and are in the process of completing the 3,000 hours of supervised experience under the LPC-S. They are also regulated by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
  4. Graduate Student Interns from the UT Tyler Psychology and Counseling Department are in the last 15 hours of their master's program, have completed PSYCH 5392 (Applied Counseling Practice) and 5393 (Applied Therapy) with a grade of "B" or better, and are currently enrolled in COUN 5396 or 5397 (Internship I or II). They are directly supervised by an LPC-S or an LPC.
  5. A complete list of LPC Board rules