Gloria Duke, PhD, RN
Title: Professor, Associate Dean for Research & Outreach
Building: BRB 2255
- PhD, RN
Courses Recently Taught:
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Nursing Research
- Nurse as Educator
- Contemporary Nursing Ethics
Palliative and End-of-Life Care, with emphases on pain management and cultural issues
Current Research in Progress:
Attitudes About and Preferences for EOL Care in Persons of Jewish, Hindu, and Muslim Faiths and Living in Texas (September 2012-current)
- Barbara Cushing Award of Excellence for Practice, Education and Research: April 2014
- Bart Brooks Professorship in Ethics. Fall 2012-Fall 2016
- Duke, G. & Petersen, S. (2015). Pain management attitudes and preferences for care among Asians living in Texas; International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 21(1), 24-34.
- Thompson, S., Mastel-Smith, B., Haas, B.K., Duke, G., Yarbrough, S., & Vardaman, S. (2014). U.S. military nurses caring for the enemy. International Journal for Human Caring,18(2), 61-70.
- Hood, D. & Duke, G. (2013). The nature and meaning of insulin pump use in emerging adults with Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Spectrum; online; to be published early 2015.
- Duke, G. (2013).The interplay of spirituality and last days of life in persons born in Japan and living in Texas. The Qualitative Report, 18(44).
- Duke, G. (2013). Attitudes regarding life-sustaining measures in people born in Japan, China, and Vietnam and living in Texas. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 19(2), 76-83.
- Duke, G., Haas, B., Yarbrough, S., & Northam, S. (2013). Pain Knowledge and Attitudes in Baccalaureate Nursing Students and Faculty. Journal of Pain Management in Nursing
- Vulnerable Populations in Research: Ethical Considerations oral presentation Feb. 26, 2015 to Southern Nursing Research Society, Tampa, FL.
- End-of-Life Care and Pain Management; Trinity Mother Francis Hospital, Tyler, TX, Sept 2014.
- Research Ethics: Tools for Clinical Research Professionals; Association of Clinical Research Professionals; June 28, 2014; Dallas
- Data Collection Strategies (co-presenter with J. Chilton); PhD Orientation, June 2014.
- Grant Opportunities (co-presenter with S. Northam); PhD Orientation, June 2014.
- Establishing Programs of Research (co-presenter with B. Haas); PhD Orientation, June 2014.
- Dissertation Camp (co-presenter with B. Haas); PhD Orientation, June 2012, June 2014.
- The IRB Process and Informed Consents; PhD Orientation,June 2013, 2014.
- Publishing Within an Ethical Framework, PhD Orientation, June 2013, 2014.
- Writing for Success: MSN Orientation, Jan 2014, August 2014, Jan 2015.
- Research Ethics and the IRB Process, HRD doctoral students, Sept 2013
- Research Ethics (2 different classes), UT Tyler Nursing Research UG class, Sept. 2013
- Challenges of Sample Recruitment: A Roundtable Discussion, facilitator, CNHS, September 2013.
- The IRB Process: UT Tyler Dr. S. Marmion’s graduate class, June 2013
- Decision-Making: When is it the Right Time? Co-presented with Dr. Gary Gross, East Texas Medical Center, May 2013.
- Research Ethics, UT Tyler Dr. J Velten’s UG class, Sept. 2013
- Communications at End of Life; East Texas Medical Center; May 2013
- Research Ethics: UT Tyler Dr. J. Evan’s UG class, April 2013
- Opioid Administration & Monitoring for Sedation and Respiratory Depression: The Evidence; to CNHS faculty and students (2 presentations), March 2013
- Research Ethics, UT Tyler Dr. J Velten’s UG class (2 different class presentations), Feb 2013