Executive Health Care Administration MPA
Admission & Degree Requirements
All students applying for admission to the Executive Health Care Administration (EHCA) program must complete an official UT Tyler application. The application is available from The Graduate School. EHCA applicants should complete the GRADUATE application. Once the application has been submitted, the following items are needed to be considered for admission.
A complete application includes the following:
- Official University Graduate Application for Admission
- Complete official application
- $50 Graduate School Application fee (payable at time of application)
- EHCA Applicant Information Sheet
- Students may submit via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the program
- Official transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate work
- This information should be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office:
The University of Texas at Tyler
The Graduate School
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Tx 75799
- Letters of recommendation
- Three letters of recommendation from people qualified to assess the applicant's academic potential, preferably one from the applicant's current manager/supervisor
- Download the Letters of Recommendation requirements
- Each applicant will write a 300 word written essay, to be submitted via e-mail, email@example.com, or mail to the program.
- Topics Include:
- Your career objectives and how the EHCA courses will aid in reaching them
- A description of how your career has progressed to this point; and
- Your personal view of the current status of our health care system
- On-campus Interview
- Following the receipt of all application criteria, an on-campus interview with the EHCA program director or other designated faculty members is required for admission.
- An on-campus interview will be requested by the program director following a review of all above information
1. NO GRE or GMAT test required.
2. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
All program information should be sent to:
The University of Texas at Tyler
Executive Health Care Administration
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, TX 75799
The EHCA-MPA Program admits a new cohort of 25 students each fall.
Applications are currently being accepted for the fall 2019 term. Applications are accepted at any time during the school year and are admitted once the individual’s application process is completed. Once 25 qualified students have been admitted, we will no longer accept applications for that cohort. For questions or more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
All candidates for the Executive Health Care Administration concentration must also meet the following requirements:
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 basis) on all work taken for graduate credit. No course with a grade below "C" may be applied toward this degree.
- Satisfactory performance on the final project and oral defense of the project in EHCA 5371: Healthcare Capstone. Any student who fails the oral component may, upon recommendation of the Graduate Coordinator, be granted permission to take a second examination. Upon failing the second examination, the student will be dropped from the program.
The Executive Health Care (EHCA) concentration is designed for working members of the healthcare community. The program is taught using the "hybrid" model with one week of concentrated on-site instruction in Tyler and additional requirements to be met online using Blackboard course management system. Courses are taught by expert visiting faculty from around the country.
The EHCA program requires 36 semester credit hours. Students take three courses (nine credit hours) per semester and complete the degree in three regular semesters plus one summer session at the end of the program. The EHCA concentration is tightly sequenced and each cohort is admitted once a year in the Fall semester. A student who misses a course will be required to wait for the next cohort.
For additional information on this executive program refer to https://www.uttyler.edu/ehca/financial_aid.php.
Each candidate for the degree must satisfactorily complete 36 hours of course work as indicated:
Core Curriculum (9 hours required)
- PADM 5332 - Public Budgeting and Finance
- PADM 5350 - Seminar in Human Resources Management (Same as MANA 5350)
- PADM 5335 - Topics in Policy Analysis
Health Care Concentration (27 hours)
- EHCA 5360 - Introduction to the American Healthcare System
- EHCA 5361 - Healthcare Accounting
- EHCA 5363 - Healthcare Negotiation and Communication
- EHCA 5365 - Managerial Epidemiology
- EHCA 5366 - Healthcare Advertising, Promotion, and Marketing
- EHCA 5367 - Biostatistics
- EHCA 5368 - Strategic Planning for Health Care
- EHCA 5370 - Health Economics
- EHCA 5371 - Health Services Capstone
We know that finding ways to pay for executive education can often be a stressful and time-consuming process. To help with this, The University of Texas at Tyler has a variety of financial aid resources available for our students.
Students looking to use financial aid must first complete the FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To be eligible, students will need their previous year’s tax return, along with social security information. For more information, visit the FAFSA home page or UT Tyler’s financial aid website.
Financial Aid Links
- Graduate student Financial Aid options & information
- Important Financial Aid dates
- Financial Aid FAQ
- IRS tax transcript
For additional financial aid information as an EHCA student, please contact financial aid at 903-566-7219. Inform them you are with the Executive Health Care Administration Program. If you are eligible for VA Benefits, please contact Chris Cox at 903.565.5972.