How to Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript
You may obtain a copy of your IRS tax return transcript by following these instructions on the IRS website:
1. Select "Get Transcript Online (allows you to download and print immediately).
- To use Get Transcript Online, you must have a Social Security number (SSN) and immediate access to your email account to confirm your email address.
2. Select "Get Transcript by Mail" (may take five - 10 days for processing).
- You must select the "Return Transcript."
- To use Get Transcript by Mail, you need your SSN or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), date of birth and address from your latest tax return.
You may also call 800-908-9946 to request a federal income tax return transcript.
*Important Information for using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool*
Federal regulations require a federal income tax return transcript if you filed taxes and have been selected for verification. You and your parents may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is an option when filling out the FAFSA or request a free tax return transcript from the IRS online, or by calling 800.908.9946.