Broaden Career Options With a Global Focus
Global Awareness Through Education (GATE) is a two-year program designed for incoming freshmen interested in a globally-focused, culturally diverse education. GATE offers internationally-infused core curriculum classes, cultural activities and service opportunities. The program culminates in a five-week study abroad experience the summer after a student's sophomore year.
- Travel with your GATE class to a distant country during the summer following your sophomore year. In 2013, GATE students visited Japan, completing two courses taught by UT Tyler instructors at Shimane University and visiting such famous locations as the Tokyo National Museum, Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum and Byodo-in Temple.
- GATE students will travel to Brazil and Argentina in 2014. The destination for 2015 will be Italy.
Graduates of the GATE program will be well-equipped for international service in their careers throughout the world. The program broadens students' perspective and enhances the value of any degree. Potential employers include the Peace Corps, church missions and international corporations.
GATE: Two-Years Preparing for a Global-Ready Career
- Take two courses per semester in a globally enhanced curriculum. Complete the GATE program in two years.
- Attend special on-campus cultural activities such as a global lecture series, international film festival and concerts. Travel with other GATE students to off-campus cultural activities across Texas.
- Be part of a small, eclectic group of students who share an interest in internationally focused studies and the value of study abroad.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the world and its diverse people.
GATE Faculty: Outstanding Educators. Internationally Experienced.
- Study with professors who are respected for their teaching ability, including earning such distinctions as the Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award.
- Learn from instructors who are seasoned international travelers and educators, thoroughly familiar with the cultures of nations students will visit for their 5-week international experience.
- Join a small group of students who will be mentored by international scholars who are serving as GATE professors.
Career Outlook for GATE Graduates
Many corporate executives say international educational experience can give job seekers an extra edge, especially in today's tight market. Executives who themselves have benefited from international training during their college years believe global experience gives students an appreciation for other cultures that can be gained in few other ways.
Whether you major in marketing, finance, engineering, nursing or any other field, an international component to your education and degree will be a lifelong asset as you enter the job market and throughout your career.
|Austin Adams TBD TBD|
|Holi Festival TBD TBD|
|March Madness Events Begin Patriot Zone TBD|
|Greek All-Council Meeting UC Ballroom 5pm|
|Movie Night Harvey Lakes 8:30pm|
|APCA National Convention Atlanta, GA 10am|
GATE will travel to Italy in 2015. For information, email email@example.com.