Graduate International Student Admissions
Fall and Spring
The US Department of Homeland Security requires F-1 students to enroll in a full-time course load during fall and spring semesters.
- Graduate Students = 9 credit hours per semester
- Undergraduate Students = 12 credit hours per semester
Summer is optional unless it is your first semester at UT Tyler.
- Graduate Students = 6 credit hours
- Undergraduate Students = 6 credit hours
- All courses must apply toward your degree to be counted toward the full-time requirement.
- Only 3 hours of online courses can count toward the full-time requirement.
- If it is your last semester and you need only one class to complete your degree, that final class cannot be taken online.
- Not enrolling in enough hours, dropping below full-time during the semester or taking too many online courses are all F-1 violations that will lead to the termination of your F-1 status.
Alternative Ways to Meet Requirements
- Concurrent Enrollment - Submit a Concurrent Enrollment Form to Graduate Admissions before the Census Date of each semester.
- Graduating Semester - Apply for graduation or submit a Reduced Course Load Request Form to Graduate Admissions before the Census Date of your final semester.