Graduate International Student Admissions
Extension of Stay
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs by the program end date listed on their Forms I-20. Students unable to complete their program by the program end date may apply for an extension of stay.
- Must have valid F-1 status and be making normal progress toward completion of educational objective.
- Must apply prior to the Form I-20 program end date.
- Must meet one of the valid reasons for extension as stipulated by the US Department of Homeland Security:
- Compelling academic reason such as a change of major, research topics or research complications.
- Documented medical reason such as hospitalization or prolonged illness.
- NOTE: Academic probation, suspension, or Curricular Practical Training are not valid reasons for a program extension.
Form I-20 Extension Application Process
Submit the following to Graduate International Student Admissions:
- Request for Extension Form – Attached to the form should be a letter from your academic department which details the reason why you were unable to complete the program, courses remaining, and the length of extension recommended.
- An updated UT Tyler Financial Affidavit Form.
- Proof of funding for the period of extension.
Processing time is 3-5 business days. Notification will be emailed when the extended Form I-20 is available to be collected.