Graduate International Student Admissions

F-2 Dependents

An F-1 student in valid status may request that a spouse and/or children come to the US as F-2 dependents.

General Information

  • F-2 visas are limited to spouses and children, no extended family or servants.
  • F-2 dependents may not work or attend university in the US.
  • F-2 children are allowed to attend US public schools (Kindergarten-12th grade).
  • An F-2’s status is dependent on the F-1. If the F-1 loses status or leaves the US, the F-2 status also ends.
  • F-2 children lose their F-2 status when they marry or reach 21 years of age. If the F-2 child wants to remain in the US, he or she should apply for an independent status prior to the end of the F-2 status.


  • Request an F-2 Form I-20 from Graduate Admissions (required). Contact the graduate international student advisor for details.
  • Provide the following informaiton to your family members for use at their US embassy or consulate visa appointment:
    • F-2 Form I-20s
    • Copies of the F-1 Form I-20
    • Marriage or birth certificates. (Note: these are not required by Graduate Admissions, but will be required by the visa officer)
    • F-2 dependents are not required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • If approved for the visa, the F-2 dependents may join the F-1 student for part or all of the F-1's stay (with exception of adult F-2 children mentioned above).

For more information regarding specific application documents, please contact the graduate international student advisor.