Graduate International Student Admissions
Driving in the US
Driving in the US requires a valid US driver’s license and sufficient driver’s insurance. Insurance requirements vary by state. Your insurance must meet the requirements for the state in which you reside. If you own a vehicle, there are additional requirements.
- In Texas, driver’s licenses are managed by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- If you have a valid license from your home country and your country recognizes an equivalent US license as valid, you may drive up to one year on the out-of-country license.
- To get a Texas driver’s license you will take written and driving exams and show proof of insurance.
- For information about obtaining a Texas driver’s license, go to the Texas Department of Public Safety web page, “Apply for a Texas Driver License”.
- The local Texas Department of Public Safety:
Address: 4700 Spur 248, Tyler, TX 75713 (Directions)
Phone: (903) 939-6000
Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am–6:00 pm
- See the Texas Department of Public Safety website for driving laws.
- See the Texas Driver's Handbook, page 3-1 for information about Texas insurance requirements.
- Car owners must register their vehicle.
Parking at UT Tyler
A valid UT Tyler parking permit is required to park a car on campus. View the Traffic, Parking, and Safety Regulations on the UT Tyler Police Department webpage for campus parking regulations.