UT Tyler Office of Information SecurityLaptop Encryption Overview
Effective Date: June 26, 2012
All UT Tyler laptops must be encrypted.
Approved Methods of Encryption:
- WinMagic's SecureDoc (Windows & Macintosh)
- Laptops must be able to be verified using UT Tyler's centralized console
- FileVault 2 only if used in conjunction with Absolute Manage for verification purposes
- UT Tyler's Help Desk can assist with the encryption process
Exceptions to Laptop Encryption:
- All exceptions to the laptop encryption policy must be approved by both the President of the institution and UT System's Information Security Office.
Personally Owned Devices (Security Practices Bulletin #1)
Effective Date: June 1, 2007
All personally owned laptops which contain University owned confidential data must be encrypted.
"Any Confidential University Data stored on a Portable Computing Device or Non-University Owned Computing Device must be encrypted using products and/or methods approved by the Entity's Chief Information Security Officer (CISO or ISO)."
Approved methods of encryption for personally owned devices:
- Free whole-disk encryption products
- Bitlocker (Windows)
- TrueCrypt (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- FileVault2 (Mac)