Algebra and College Level Placement Exam
This page contains information regarding placement into college level mathematics courses.
If you wish to take one of the following courses:
- MATH 1314 – College Algebra
- MATH 1324 – Mathematics for Business and Economics I
- MATH 1332 – Contemporary Mathematics I
- MATH 1342 – Statistics I
Then you must satisfy one of the following requirements:
- Grade of C or better in MATH 0303 (Intermediate Algebra).
- Score of 21 or better on the mathematics section of ACT.
- Score of 530 or better on the quantitative section of SAT.
- Score of 270 or better on the mathematics section of THEA.
- Passing score on the departmental pre-algebra placement test.
- Other placement tests (e.g. Accuplacer and Compass) may place you into college level mathematics.
The department does offer a pre-algebra placement exam. Practice exams (Ver. 1, Ver. 2, Ver. 3, Ver. 4, and Ver. 5) are available, with answer key. Passing this exam (70% or better) will allow you to take any of the courses listed above. This test is administered by the Academic Advising Center (UC 3440), 903.565.5718