Military Tuition Assistance
Steps to using military Tuition Assistance at UT Tyler
Tuition Assistance (TA) is the term used for financial aid given by military branches to active duty and reserve service members for college courses. Each branch of the military has its own tuition assistance policy.
Regardless of your branch of service, TA only covers the cost of tuition, and not any associated fees. UT Tyler's tuition rate can exceed the tuition caps published by each service. Students are responsible for all costs not covered by TA, which must be paid by the published tuition deadlines.
Using TA at UT Tyler
Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) at their unit/command prior to enrolling at UT Tyler. Once you have spoken with your ESO, you will apply for TA through your service:
- Navy, Marines, Coast Guard (must be approved TWO WEEKS before class start date):
- Air Force (must be approved ONE WEEK before class start date):
- Army (must be approved FIVE DAYS before class start date):
Each service has unique requirements that must be met/completed as part of the application process. These will be discussed by your chain of command and/or your ESO.
As part of completing the TA application process, you may need information (degree plans, course information, tuition/fee schedule) from UT Tyler. You may request this information by emailing MVSC@uttyler.edu with the following information:
- Student's Name
- Branch of Service
- Last 4 of SSN
- UT Tyler Student ID Number
- Information Requested (degree plan, course information, tuition/fee schedule)
Once your TA has been approved by your command, you will receive a voucher that details the cost of your classes that your service will pay. This voucher should be emailed to MVSC@uttyler.edu.
Using Your GI Bill® with TA
If you plan to use your GI Bill® with TA, you WILL ALSO:
- review the VA's information on Tuition Assistance Top-Up, and
- follow the instructions to use your VA benefits at UT Tyler. You will be asked to submit your TA voucher as a part of this process.
If you have questions, or need assistance throughout the TA process, please contact Coby Dillard, Director of Military and Veterans Affairs.