UT Tyler Undergraduate Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Traditional BSN Track for Transfer Applicants from Existing BSN Program
Students may be considered for transfer from other accredited BSN programs if their clinical coursework was completed within one calendar year of application to UT Tyler.
Upon successful completion of the BSN curriculum at the Tyler, Longview, or Palestine campus, graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN).
The University of Texas at Tyler School of Nursing prepares graduates to meet health care needs as generalists.
- Students must be Texas Core-complete BEFORE beginning the BSN program. They can be in progress of five (5) outstanding prerequisite courses when they apply for the BSN program, pending that those courses are completed before the program courses begin.
- If you are not designated “Core Curriculum Completed” by your previous institution(s) before transfer to UT Tyler, you are required to satisfy UT Tyler’s core curriculum in its entirety, and transfer courses will be applied to the core at UT Tyler’s discretion.
- See the UT Tyler Core Curriculum for the most current core courses that UT Tyler requires.
- Chemistry (and lab)
- Microbiology (and lab) or Bacteriology (and lab)
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II (and labs)
- Nutrition (ALHS 3315 Recommended)
- Lifespan Growth & Development
- Introductory Psychology
Students are required to have a 2.75 or higher GPA in all pre-requisite courses and nursing pre-requisite courses.
Required Nursing Pre-Requisite
To be completed in the semester prior to entry to the BSN program. It is recommended that students take these courses at UT Tyler, but our department will accept them from another four-year university.
- NURS 3303 Pathophysiology
Step 1: Meet with a UT Tyler BSN Advisor
In preparation for a meeting with the advisor at UT Tyler, the student must provide the following:
- A formal Letter of Good Standing stating his or her eligibility to return to their current BSN program.
- Course Syllabi from all completed Nursing courses. Courses will be equated and applied to UT Tyler’s BSN degree plan at the UT Tyler School of Nursing’s discretion. Not all Nursing courses are guaranteed to transfer as equivalents.
- Unofficial or official transcripts from all previously attended institutions, including in-progress coursework, if applicable.
Schedule an advising appointment by calling 903.566.7320, and students that are too far to visit in person can schedule a phone appointment with their advisor.
Step 2: Apply to the University
All undergraduate Traditional BSN applicants must apply to the university prior to applying to the nursing program. Go to the Undergraduate Admissions page to complete the Apply Texas application. You must follow the directions in the letter to accept your university admission in MyUTTyler. You will need a UT student ID number in order to complete your Nursing Program application.
Have the most updated official transcripts sent to UT Tyler’s Admissions Processing office from ALL previous institutions.