UT Tyler

Office of International Programs

Applying for a J-1/J-2 Visa

A valid J-1 visa is required to enter the United States on the Exchange Visitor Program. For information on processing times and procedures, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

A personal interview is required, so you will need to schedule your appointment as soon as possible. Be aware there also could be substantial delays due to security checks, so please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.

Immediate family members (spouse and children under the age of 21) who will accompany you to the United States may apply for J-2 visas using the DS-2019 forms enclosed. If your family will join you later, a DS-2019 form will be issued by ISSFS upon request.

The following is generally required for the J-1/J-2 visa application:

  • Signed Form DS-2019(s). A separate form is required for all visa applicants. The J-1 should sign the bottom of the first page of all forms and submit them for the visa application. The DS-2019(s) will be returned to you to present at the U.S. port of entry.
  • Receipt showing payment of the SEVIS fee (J-1visa only).
  • Payment of the visa application fee, and appropriate visa application forms (see U.S. Consulate webpage), for each visa applicant.
  • Passport(s) valid for at least six months into the future, for each visa applicant.
  • Proof of ties to your home country. Consult the website of your local U.S. Consulate/Embassy for suggestions.
  • Proof of financial support. You must be able to verify the total funds indicated on the DS- 2019 with a personal bank statement and/or a sponsor's official statement of support. If you are receiving payment from UT Tyler, you may request a letter from the inviting department that specifies your position and salary.
  • Two passport-size photos for each visa applicant often required (check with U.S. Consulate).
  • J-1 Invitation letter from the sponsoring department at UT Tyler (recommended).
  • Marriage certificate and birth certificates (in English with attached transaction) of children carrying their own passports (J-2 visa only).
UT Tyler