Office of International Programs
Extension of Stay
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs by the program end date listed on their I-20. Students unable to complete their program by the program end date may apply for an extension of stay.
- Must have valid F-1 status and be making normal progress toward completion of educational objective.
- Must apply before the I-20 program end date.
- Must meet one of the valid reasons for extension:
- Compelling academic reason such as a change of major, research topics or research complications.
- Documented medical reason such as hospitalization or prolonged illness.
- NOTE: Academic probation, suspension, or Curricular Practical Training are not valid reasons for a program extension.
I-20 Extension Application Process
Contact your international advisor in the ISSFS regarding your situation. Provide written verification from an academic advisor or program manager. This verification can be in the form of an email sent directly to the international advisor and should state the reason for the extension and endorse the need for additional time to complete.