UT Tyler Psychology & Counseling
Ph.D. Clinical Psychology
IMPORTANT UPDATE (01/06/2021): All admissions materials are now due by February 1,
2021 for the Fall 2021 cohort.
Offers of admission will be extended by April 1, 2021. Acceptance of official offers must be made no later than April 15, 2021.
- A bachelor's degree and adequate preparation in psychology (12+ hours of psychology including a course in statistics, research methods, abnormal psychology, and history and systems of psychology*).
- Previous research experience
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA
- Minimum GRE-V, GRE-Q, and GRE-total at the 50th percentile
*NOTE: APA requires doctoral students to complete a course in History and Systems of Psychology, either at the undergraduate or graduate level. Students admitted without this may take it online with UT Tyler during the summer before the fall admit term.
The UT Tyler Clinical Psychology PhD program is designed as a full-time, five-year program, including four years on campus and an off-site, predoctoral internship year. It may take students an average of between 5-6 years to complete our program to allow for additional clinical training experiences and to make progress on dissertation requirements prior to the pre-doctoral internship. The program requires a minimum of 3 full-time academic years of graduate study, at least 2 of which is completed in this program, and requires 1 year in full-time in residence. The PhD degree is awarded after all program requirements are completed and conferred after completion of the pre-doctoral internship.
There are two portions of the application process:
Start by applying through our online application.
After you have submitted your application, send all of the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions at the address below:
- All official academic transcripts for undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- GRE scores, which must have been taken within the last five years. Our ETS code is 6850. Successful applicants will have GRE-V, GRE-Q, and GRE-Total scores at the 50th percentile or above.
The Office of Graduate Admissions, STE 345
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd
Tyler Texas 75799
Complete the Department Information Sheet which contains the Statement of Purpose (3 page maximum). Please do not complete the Department Information Sheet until you are also ready to submit the Statement of Purpose.
- What is the Statement of Purpose?: Please state your purpose in applying for the Clinical
Psychology PhD program at the University of Texas at Tyler. A strong statement of
purpose will include (but is not limited to):
- Relevant educational, personal, cultural, or social experiences that motivated you to pursue advanced studies in Clinical Psychology.
- Specific research area(s) of interests. It is important to identify how these interests align with the work being done by UT Tyler’s Clinical Psychology faculty mentors
- A thorough description of previous research and clinical experiences that contribute to your preparedness for this program.
- Statements of Purpose should not exceed 3 pages in length.
Submit the reference request form. This form will generate requests for academic Letters of Reference from the three individuals you identify. Do not complete until you have submitted your application and you have a student ID.
Please direct any questions regarding the application process to Kristie Allen, graduate admissions advisor, at ClinPsyPhD@uttyler.edu.