Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas at Tyler holds Commencement ceremonies twice each year in May and December at the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center. All graduating students are encouraged to participate in the ceremonies and join the administration, faculty, staff, fellow students and guests in celebrating this important milestone in their lives.
Fall 2019 Commencement
Friday, December 13, 2019
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- 12:30PM CST - Graduate Check-in Begins
- 1:00PM CST - Guest Check-in / Seating Begins
- 2:00PM CST - Ceremony Begins
College of Arts and Sciences and Fisch College of Pharmacy
- 4:30PM CST - Graduate Check-in Begins
- 5:00PM CST - Guest Check-in / Seating Begins
- 6:00PM CST - Ceremony Begins
Saturday, December 14, 2019
College of Education and Psychology and College of Engineering
- 7:30AM CST - Graduate Check-in Begins
- 8:00AM CST - Guest Check-in / Seating Begins
- 9:00AM CST - Ceremony Begins
Soules College of Business
- 11:30AM CST - Graduate Check-in Begins
- 12:00PM CST - Guest Check-in / Seating Begins
- 1:00PM CST - Ceremony Begins
Ticketed Seating Information
To better accommodate the graduating candidates and their families, UT Tyler has enhanced the commencement procedures to include ticketed seating, additional viewing locations and online streaming of all ceremonies. Tickets are required for admission. All guests, including infants and children of all ages, must have a ticket to enter. Tickets may be claimed online via the link posted on this website during the specific ticketing period each term. Graduation candidates will receive a Graduation Information email at their Patriot account with specific dates in April for Spring ceremonies and November for Fall ceremonies for claiming their allotted tickets.
The number of tickets available for each student, will be the maximum number in the Guest Tickets dropdown menu on the ticketing page. This amount is based on the number of graduates eligible for each college and will vary between ceremonies. Candidates are responsible for claiming their allotment of tickets and distributing them to all guests. Guest should be advised to arrive as a single group whenever possible, as saving of seats is prohibited.
Non-Ticketed Seating Information
Non-ticketed seating will be available in FAC 1003 and 1009, located in the academic wing at the rear of the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center, and will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. Guests in the non-ticketed seating area will have the opportunity to observe a live stream of the ceremony.
Personal Property of Candidates
- Graduates should not bring any personal belongings they cannot keep on their person to the staging area during the commencement ceremony. No secure storage areas are available and university staff will not take possession of, or responsibility for, personal belongings during the ceremony. Students should leave any items they cannot carry themselves with their guests or in their vehicles.
General Information for Candidates
- The doors to the Cowan Center will open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Candidates for graduation should arrive an hour and a half prior to the start of the ceremony when the Center for the Musical Arts (CMA) doors first open. Candidates will pick up name cards, receive instructions from faculty marshals, and prepare for the processional.
- Candidates who have not checked in and lined up when the processional lines begin moving toward the Cowan Center will be considered to have arrived late.
- Candidates who arrive late will be seated at the end of the group of graduating candidates and will not cross the stage in the order listed in the program.
- Candidates with guests who need wheelchair-accessible spaces during the ceremonies may designate this when claiming their tickets online. Each wheelchair-accessible space will have three adjacent seats reserved for guests from the same party; ushers will be available the day of the ceremonies to assist guests with claiming these seats.
- Flash Photography will be on site to take two photos of each candidate; one photo prior, and one as they cross the stage. Purchase is not necessary. To view, proof, and purchase photos visit the Flash website at http://www.flashphotography.com. For more information, contact the One-Stop Service Center at 903-566-7180.
Commencement for Summer Graduates
- Students who graduate with their degrees in August are eligible to participate in the Fall commencement ceremony in December. All August graduates are listed in the commencement program for the Fall ceremonies. Early participation in the Spring Commencement ceremonies is not available as an option for Summer graduates.