Sorority Formal Recruitment
What is recruitment?
Formal Recruitment is a week of activities where potential new members (PNM’s) have
a chance to learn about each organization’s history, philanthropy, standards and identity
on campus while also having the opportunity to talk with current chapter members.
Formal Recruitment is a mutual selection process, where both the PNM and sorority
hope to find the best fit for each woman.
What do you need to do to register?
Formal Recruitment will be Sept. 8-11, 2016. There are several steps to complete in order to be fully prepared for Panhellenic Formal Recruitment:
- Register for formal recruitment through the online registration site. Select University of Texas at Tyler (Panhel), then create a CampusDirector account by selecting "Potential New Member/PNM." There is a $35 fee which covers a T-shirt, snacks and administrative fees associated with recruitment.
- Pay the non-refundable recruitment registration fee (processed at the end of online registration.) You will be able to log back in to CampusDirector to update your profile or pay at a later date, but your registration will not be complete until the payment is processed.
- (Optional) Register with your local Panhellenic Association from your hometown. For women in Smith County, visit the Tyler Panhellenic Association site for additional information. This association is comprised of local Greek alumnae that will help answer any general questions about recruitment and also connect with alumnae to write recommendation letters on your behalf. In most cases, your high school counselor provides students with information about how to register with your hometown Panhellenic. If PNM's do not have recommendation letters sent in on their behalf through a hometown Panhellenic Association, it is their duty as a chapter to find one for you.
What are the requirements for joining a sorority?
In order to be eligible to join a sorority, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a full-time undergraduate student.
- Shall not be, or ever have been, an initiated member of an NPC fraternity/sorority.
- Shall not have been a new member of an NPC group at UT Tyler within the calendar year.
- Submit all registration materials as stated above no later than the listed deadline.
We encourage any woman participating in formal recruitment to have a minimum 2.5 cumulative
GPA (high school or college), as each sorority requires its members to maintain such
It is encouraged that PNM’s attend all recruitment events in order for both the Greek chapters and the PNM to get the full experience out of Formal Recruitment and are able to make educated, informed decisions.
Want to learn more about what Greek Life is all about? Be sure to join us for "Meet
the Greeks" 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Aug. 31, 2016, on the Met Patio. The recruitment counselors
will also be hosting a "Panhellenic Tea" 1 - 3 p.m. Sept. 4, 2016, in the UC Ballroom,
where potential new members can meet and greet, and learn more about going Greek.
All women who have registered for Formal Recruitment will need to attend a mandatory orientation session, "Meet Your Rho Chi," 6 p.m. Sept. 8, 2016, in the UC Ballroom. During this time, you will meet your recruitment counselors, learn the rules and what to wear, and get answers to any questions that you may have! See more tips on what to wear.
Informal Recruitment/Continuous Open Bidding
If you decided not to participate in Formal Recruitment and/or join a sorority in the fall semester, there is an opportunity to join a chapter through Informal Recruitment/Continuous Open Bidding in the spring semester. This only occurs if there are spots available, so please contact the Office of Greek Life if you have questions about this process and would like more information.