Office of International Programs
An F-1 student in valid status may request that a spouse and/or children come to the US as F-2 dependents.
- F-2 visas are limited to spouses and children
- F-2 dependents may not work in the US.
- F-2 children are allowed to attend US public schools (Kindergarten-12th grade).
- An F-2's status is dependent on the F-1. If the F-1 loses status or leaves the US, the F-2 status also ends.
- F-2 children lose their F-2 status when they marry or reach 21 years of age. If the F-2 child wants to remain in the US, he or she should apply for an independent status prior to the end of the F-2 status.
- Request an F-2 I-20 from the ISSFS (required). Contact the international student advisor for details.
- Provide the following information to your family members for use at their US embassy or consulate visa appointment:
- F-2 Form I-20s
- Copies of the F-1 Form I-20
- Marriage or birth certificates.
- F-2 dependents are not required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
- If approved for the visa, the F-2 dependents may join the F-1 student for part or all of the F-1's stay (with exception of adult F-2 children mentioned above).
For more information regarding specific application documents, please contact the international student advisor.