Office of International Programs
All international students attending The University of Texas at Tyler (UT Tyler) on a non-immigrant visa status are required by the University of Texas (UT) System Board of Regents to have continuous medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Enrollment in the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is automatic at the time of registration.
Visiting scholars, faculty and student delegations are also required to have continuous medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Attention, students and visiting scholars/faculty:
- If your visa status is F-1 or J-1 (student), upon registration for classes, the International Student Insurance charge will appear on your student billing account.
- If you are J-1 Scholar/Faculty, you can choose UT-SHIP, or an insurance plan that meets the J-1 Visa requirements set by the U.S. Government Code: [22 CFR 62.14] and you have up to seven days after your program start date, to show your proof of insurance to your J-1 Advisor.
- All inquiries regarding these choices can be sent to email@example.com
Waiver Process and Deadlines
- If your visa status is F-1 or J-1 (student), and you have an alternate health insurance plan, you can compare your plan with the requirements to see if you are eligible to file a "waiver.''
- Please go to the waiver website and compare the coverage of your plan with the mandatory required coverage.
- If your plan offers the required coverage, then you may be eligible to file for a waiver.
- Please note: This application must be repeated every semester that you choose to use the alternate plan.
- Waiver deadline dates must be considered for waiver application.
Summer 2017 Waiver Dates: 1 May to 26 May 2017
Fall 2017 Waiver Dates: 1 July to 1 September 2017
Spring 2018 Waiver Dates: 20 November 2017 to 22 January 2018
- Please refer to How to Submit a Waiver for instructions on submitting a waiver application.
International Health Insurance Advisor can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please schedule an appointment if you need to meet with the advisor in person.
Learn more about UT health insurance requirements.