Office of International Programs
Steps to J-1:
Flow of the J-1 Visa Process --
1. Department offers the foreign national a temporary position at UT Tyler.
2. J-1 Request Form is filled in by the foreign national and the department.
3. Department provides the following to ISSFS:
a. Copy of offer letter and acceptance.
b. J-1 Request Form signed by the dean.
c. If foreign national will not be compensated by UT Tyler, visitor must provide the following to ISSFS:
i. Letter from supporting institution stating amount of pay and length of time.
ii. If support is from personal funds, foreign national must provide a copy of bank statement showing adequate funds.
4. The minimum monthly amount for financial support (from all sources) is $1,500 per month for the visitor, with an additional $450 per month to be provided for spouse and $250 per month for each child that may accompany them.
To obtain a J-1 visa, the Exchange Visitor must show the United States consulate the following:
1. A DS-2019 Form produced in SEVIS by ISSFS.
2. A passport valid for at least 6 months.
3. Evidence of intention to stay in the United States for a temporary time and solely for the purpose of pursuing the program objective.
4. Financial ability to cover the cost of living in the United States.
5. Proof of SEVIS fee payment.
Health Insurance Requirement:
J-1 Exchange Visitor and J-2 dependents are required by the Department of States to have health insurance (including medical evacuation and repatriation benefits) during entire stay in the United States.
1. Coverage of at least $50,000 per accident/illness, with no more than a $500 deductible per illness.
2. A maximum of at least $7,500 for repatriation of remains in case of death.
3. A maximum of at least $ 10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.