Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy
Prerequisite Courses (e.g. Required Pre-Pharmacy Courses)
Pre-pharmacy or prerequisite coursework provide a solid foundation for the Pharm.D. curriculum and a well-rounded general education. The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education recommends chemistry, biology, mathematics, information and communication technologies, physical sciences, and general education courses as a foundation for the Pharm.D. curriculum (ACPE 2011, Standard 17.1).
|General Chemistry I & Lab||CHEM (1311 & 1111) or 1411||CHEM 1311 & 1111|
|General Chemistry II & Lab||CHEM (1312 & 1112) or 1412||CHEM 1312 & 1112|
|Biology I & Lab||BIOL (1306 & 1106) or 1406||BIOL 1306 & 1106|
|Biology II & Lab||BIOL (1307 & 1107) or 1407||BIOL 1307 & 1107|
|Fundamentals of Speech||SPCH 1311, 1315, 1318 or 1321||SPCM 1311, 1315, 2318 or 3321|
|Calculus I||MATH 2413, 2313, 1325, or 1425||MATH 2413 or 1325|
|Economics||ECON 2301 or 2302||ECON 2301 or 2302|
|Organic Chemistry I & Lab||CHEM (2323 & 2223) or 2423||CHEM 3342 & 3134|
|Organic Chemistry II & Lab||CHEM (2325 & 2225) or 2425||CHEM 3344 & 3145|
|Microbiology & Lab||BIOL (2320 & 2120) or (2321 & 2121) or 2421||BIOL (2320 & 2120) or (4300 & 4101)|
|Anatomy/Physiology I & Lab*||BIOL (2301 & 2101) or 2401||BIOL 2301 & 2101|
|Anatomy/Physiology II & Lab*||BIOL (2302 & 2102) or 2402||BIOL 2302 & 2102|
|Pre-Requisite Course||TCCNS||University of Texas at Tyler|
*Notes: A separate Anatomy + Lab (3+1 SCH) and Physiology + Lab (3+1 SCH) courses may be used to satisfy the Anatomy/Physiology I & II requirements.
Time Requirements for Prerequisites
- Seven (7)-Year Time Limit on Prerequisites: Several prerequisite courses (organic chemistry, biology, microbiology, anatomy & physiology, and all accompanying labs) must be completed within seven years of entering Pharm.D. program. Applicants wanting to request an exemption to the prerequisite or other requirements must submit an Exemption Request Form.
- Deadline to the Complete Prerequisites: Prerequisites must be completed by May 31 immediately preceding entry into the program; e.g. for Fall 2018, prerequisites must be completed by May 31, 2018. Students may petition the college’s Office of Student Affairs to take prerequisites in the summer. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to ensure that they may be feasibly completed within the time frame specified.
- Equivalent Coursework at Other Colleges: Equivalent prerequisite courses can be identified through the Texas Common Course Numbering System and/or the Equivalency Sheets web page. For courses not included in the TCCNS, contact the Office of Student Affairs (see below for contact information).
- Course Credit by Exam: Prerequisites may be completed by Advanced Placement (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and the International Baccalaureate Program (IB). A specific score is required to receive credit; exam options and required scores are listed on the Office of the Registrar webpage.
All prerequisites must be completed at a grade of C or higher. Students may retake these courses if they receive a grade lower than a "C". If the repeated grade is a "C" or higher, this requirement will be considered met. Both the original grade(s) and the repeated grade(s) will be included in the GPA calculations.
Retaking Prerequisite Coursework
- Colleges and universities, including UT Tyler, may have restrictions regarding if a course may be retaken or if approval is needed from the Registrar's Office to retake a course. If you require a letter or email stating that retaking the course is required as part of the admission requirements, please contact the College of Pharmacy's Student Affairs Office.
- Financial aid may or may not be available for those courses being retaken. Please consult with your specific college's Office of Financial Aid for more information.
Texas Core Curriculum
The Texas Core Curriculum describes the general education requirements that all first time college graduates in Texas must complete as part of their degree program. Exemptions to this requirement and additional information, may be found on the Texas State Core Curriculum Web page.
College of Pharmacy Prerequisite Coursework
(Example 2-year Schedule)
Fall: Semester 1
|UT Tyler Course(s)||TCCNS||SCH1|
|General Chemistry I & Lab||CHEM 1311 & 1111||CHEM (1311 & 1111) or 1411||4|
|Biology I & Lab||BIOL 1306 & 1106||BIOL (1306 & 1106) or 1406||4|
|Fundamentals of Speech||SPCM 1315, 1311, 2318 or 3321||SPCH 1315, 1311, 1318 or 1321||3|
|Micro or Macro-Economics 2,3||ECON 2301 or 2302||ECON 2301 or 2302||3|
|Spring: Semester 2|
|General Chemistry II & Lab||CHEM 1312 & 1112||CHEM (1312 & 1112) or 1412||4|
|Biology II & Lab||BIOL 1307 & 1107||BIOL (1307 & 1107) or 1407||4|
|Microbiology & Lab||BIOL 2320 & 2120 or BIOL 4300 & 4101||BIOL (2320 & 2120) or (2321 & 2121) or 2421||4|
|TX Core Curriculum2,3||See List||3|
|TX Core Curriculum2,3||See List||6|
|Fall: Semester 3|
|Organic Chemistry I & Lab||CHEM 3342 & 3143||CHEM (2323 & 2223) or 2423||4|
|Calculus I||MATH 2413 or 1325||MATH 2413, 2313, 1325, or 1425||3-4|
|Anatomy/Physiology I & Lab4||BIOL 2301 & 2101||BIOL (2301 & 2101) or 2401||4|
|TX Core Curriculum2,3||See List||6|
|Spring: Semester 4|
|Organic Chemistry II & Lab||CHEM 3344 & 3145||CHEM (2325 & 2225) or 2425||4|
|Anatomy/Physiology II & Lab4||BIOL 2302 & 2102||BIOL (2302 & 2102) or 2402||4|
|TX Core Curriculum2,3||See List||9|
|TX Core Curriculum2,3||Available if needed, See List||6|
1. SCH: Semester credit hours; TCCNS: Texas Core Course Numbering System.
2. For a list of Texas Core Curriculum courses, see the Texas Core Curriculum Web page.
3. Economics will be required for students entering the pharmacy school starting fall 2016. This may be macro or microeconomics (ECON 2301 or 2302).
4. Separate anatomy (3 SCH) & lab (1 SCH) and physiology (3 SCH) & lab (1 SCH) courses will meet the requirement of two semesters of anatomy/physiology.
For More Information Contact
Ben and Maytee Fisch College of PharmacyOffice of Student Affairs
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd. Tyler, TX 75799
Phone: 903.565.5777 (main number) or 800.UT TYLER
Website: The Ben and Maytee Fisch College of Pharmacy